Chapter 3 - Victoria

"What do you mean, Kiyan and Adelaide are missing?" Victoria exclaimed.

Arthur shifted uncomfortably. It was rare to see her publicist look so uncomfortable, he usually looked so confident next to her father as one of his right-hand lackeys. Now he had been assigned as The Warrior Queen's publicist. Helping Victoria with her speeches to the press wasn't in the job description, but he offered.

When her father appointed her the official spokesperson for the AIA, the task had daunted had more than she wanted to admit. Words had never been her strong point. Short quips, maybe but Adelaide was better at speeches. That was when she wasn't missing.

"I wouldn't normally be concerned about Adelaide going missing but with the recent earthquake I would advise sending out a search party. Especially since a trainee is thought to be with her" Arthur said.

Victoria nodded, bit down her annoyance and walked out to the crowd. Flashing strobe lights blinded her. She could just make out the people holding their huge cameras. With their long coats it could only be journalists. Victoria reached out to the podium to steady her.

"The recent attacks have shaken the Peaceland kingdoms. The AIA will not stand for this violence. They will continue to guard and protect the nation as well as catch the senseless individuals who are responsible" she began

"Who are the main suspects?" one of them shouted.

"We have several suspects in custody, but we are not at liberty to release their names at this time" Victoria said.

"How can you ensure the safety of the public?" said a voice from the crowd.

Victoria cleared her throat.

"Well, we are putting more patrols on the street, we are investigating the crime scenes"

"That's not good enough – people are still dying" a reporter said. "Even with all these extra AIA agents on the street"

Victoria opened her mouth to respond, to defend her father's company, but no words came out. Arthur stepped in front of her podium.

"That will be all the questions. This convention is over".

Victoria stepped away from the podium and jogged down the steps to catch up with Arthur.

"I'm so sorry. Your father insisted we do a press conference. It's clear you're still shaken up from Friday" he said.

"I'm fine Arthur really. I just don't have the answers they want".

"They don't want answers, they want a story" Arthur replied.

"Excuse me miss. Excuse me"

A young petite woman pushed through the crowd. She wore the beige coat of a reporter but held no camera, only a pen and a notebook.

"Miss Elderwen is taking no more questions" Arthur said putting an arm out in front of Victoria.

"No let her speak" Victoria said.

"The public are scared, confused. They deserve to know what's going on. They deserve to know the truth" the girl said.

"Victoria, don't give her the time of day. All reporters are the same"

"Let her speak" Victoria said.

"I'm Lorna Davis from The Havensborough Times. I just want to ask you a few questions. Get what really happened from an eyewitness people trust"

The Fire that Ignited the Storm (The Warrior Queens book #2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara