Chapter 23 - Adelaide

The trip felt endless. Finally, the mountains came into view, ominous in their look but signalling they were close to Shinama. And close to the Quarter. The only place where gambling and drinking were legal. Adelaide felt a burst of giddiness.

"I think our first mission should be to conquer the Quarter" Adelaide announced.

"I don't think that's such a good idea" Victoria said.

"Come on Vick, you never let yourself have any fun" Nicholas said.

"The last time Adelaide drank alcohol she ended up swimming down the banks of Freymoor Lake" Victoria said. She rolled her eyes but she had a smile on her face.

Rosaline laughed, no doubt remembering pulling Adelaide from the lake when she only wanted to paddle.

"But that won't happen this time" Adelaide protested. "There are no lakes in Shinama anyway".

As soon as the ship docked, they made their way to the hotel. The hotel was a huge white skyscraper in the middle of a brightly-lit street. Inside everything was plush and bright. Music pulsated from every corner of the building, trumpets and pianos all whirring around like the chaos of insanity itself.

They made their way into their rooms and Adelaide began unpacking her clothes. Victoria came into her room with a scowl on her face.

"Don't unpack too many things" she said. "We won't be staying long".

Adelaide hurled her shoes on the bed.

"Why don't you let yourself be happy? Have a little fun. Do you remember what that is?"

Victoria just crossed her arms and looked to the floor. Adelaide continued to sift through her clothes until she picked up a red sparkly dress.

"I think I'll wear this" she said.

Adelaide expected a snide comment from Victoria but all she said was "great" and walked out the room.

An hour later Adelaide walked down the stairs wearing a red flapper dress and a feather headband. Rosaline, Kiyan and Nicholas were sitting at the bar.

"Have you seen Vicky?" Rosaline said.

Adelaide scoffed. "She would not be seen dead in a place with such debauchery" she turned to Kiyan. "In all the years that you were a teenager, I bet you never had as much fun as you will tonight".

Kiyan laughed. "And you can guarantee that?"

"Yes, if your idea of fun is gambling all your life savings away" Nicholas said.

"The roulette is really bad for that" Rosaline said. "I once lost the deposit for a pool playing that game".

"Oh well it's a good thing I don't have any money to gamble away" Kiyan said.

"You might after tonight" Adelaide said. "Come on, I'm going to teach you how to play poker. Everyone should know how to lie".

Throughout the game Adelaide was becoming more exasperated with Kiyan.

"You're not supposed to tell me what cards you have" Adelaide said. "You're supposed to lie".

He gave her a blank look.

"But I don't want to lie to you"

"Then you won't get any of my money" Adelaide said.

"Speaking of which" Kiyan said. "You promised me 2000 Sterlings if we didn't make it out those tunnels by that night. And it was after 12 by the time we left. So..."