Chapter 16 - Adelaide

Adelaide and Victoria ran through the corridors, opening every door and shouting. More agents had followed them. They arrived at the kitchen where the frames had collapsed and curved at impossible angles. Adelaide hadn't expected one shot of fire to cause such a chain reaction. After fourteen years of studying magic, there was still so much she didn't know about it.

Several people were trapped under the frame. Their panicked shouts rang through Adelaide's ears. She ducked under the frame at the doorway and attempted to lift the frames. They were heavy - too heavy for a human to lift. She then crawled under the tangle of frames. Adelaide outstretched her hand towards the people who were trapped. Clammy hands wrapped around her arm. Adelaide pulled. The pain across her shoulder blades was instantaneous. If she tried to pull them all out at once - she would surely dislocate her arm.

"One at a time" she said.

First two children managed to squeeze out. Victoria pushed the frames ever so slightly to let the adults out. The screeching as the metals collided made Adelaide's teeth clench. By now, the fire's crackling was getting closer. The smoke crept through the air like a silent killer.

"We need to move fast" she said.

The people managed to wriggle out of the wreckage. The last person was a heavier set man who could just not get through the gap.

"You ladies just go" he said. "You're young, you've still got your whole lives ahead of you"

"Sir, we are not abandoning you" Adelaide said.

The frames were not budging. Adelaide didn't know what effect a magic spell would have such a highly conductive metal. She was not about to experiment with this man's life. Adelaide and Victoria lifted the bars with all their strength put together. Finally, the man managed to squeeze out and ran for door, following the rest of the victims. Adelaide and Victoria followed them, not running but with more caution.

"Is that everyone? Have we checked all the rooms?" Victoria said.

"I think so" Adelaide replied.

The frames creaked and shifted. Adelaide and Victoria screamed and crouched to the ground. The frame clattered to the ground, landing just metres from them. The mangled mesh of metal blocked their exit.

"Are you okay?" Victoria said.

"Yes" Adelaide said.

Adelaide summoned wind power to her fingertips and pushed against it. Even when she put all her concentration and energy into that tornado of wind, the xenocidus barely moved an inch. Then it lifted into the air for a second.

Fumes filled Adelaide's lungs. She broke off in coughing fit. Adelaide lost her hold on the frames. They fell to the ground. Tears sprang to her eyes. The smoke was a noose around Adelaide's throat.

"Adelaide, you have to stay conscious" Victoria said.

The next few moments became fuzzy for Adelaide. There the harsh sound of metal scrapping and Victoria's panicked screaming and shouting. She vaguely registered Victoria tugging her arm and dragging her through the tunnels.

Once they were outside, a paramedic sat her down and gave her an oxygen mask. She breathed in and out until she felt less dizzy. Her thoughts began to clear but one thing didn't make sense. She took off her oxygen mask.

"Victoria, how did we escape?" Adelaide said.

Victoria looked bewildered.

"I moved the frames out of the way. I broke two of them in half" she said.

Adelaide rose an eyebrow.

"But that's impossible. Xenocidus is the strongest metal in the world. No human can just-just snap it in half".

"I...I don't know what to tell you" Victoria said.

Adelaide stood by Victoria, Nicholas was on her other side as she made her speech on the steps of the AIA. She spoke confidently, but her hands would've been shaking if she did not hold the podium.

"It's my understanding that someone in the crowd yesterday had a gun on their disposal. They have been questioned and it has been determined they have nothing to do with the Camicazi attacks. Though guns are illegal in this country this person was not entirely at blame. The claustrophobic tunnels as well as the sheer number of people caused the panic to become uncontrollable. The Enchanters acted out of primal instinct are not to blame. This was due to poor planning which I take full responsibility for. Thankfully no one was hurt and can assure you this will not happen again. We are working day and night to repair the Sanctuary"

She did not know how Victoria was keeping it together. Adelaide herself could hardly stop shaking and all she was doing was standing there with her arms folded. It was the large crowd, all those eyes staring at her watching her every move. She could hardly bear it. What was happening to her? She never used to be like that.

These were the questions she asked herself that night lying in bed. That and Victoria's sudden strength. It could be down to adrenaline – like when children are trapped under cars, women develop enough strength to lift the car and pull the child to safety. Maybe it was like that. But something felt off about it. Adelaide finally drifted off to sleep.

An image of Raymond's face flashed in her mind

His jaw slackening

His eyes rolling to the back of his head

His heartbeat stopping

She had no way of knowing that for certain

But she could feel it

A life she had taken

Another soul to carry on her back

Her mother wouldn't have wanted this

Her father wouldn't have wanted this

Nor would she

The old Adelaide

The innocent Adelaide

The person she was before death tainted her soul black