Chapter 2:

1 month later~Americas Pov

My mom was practically flowing through the house, humming a tune, while dusting the furniture. Today was the day they would announce who is to be selected, and one of them eventually queen.

My mom was adamant that it would be me. She was having over my two best friends Celia and Kamber Ledgar. There six's who live with there grandparents and three siblings. Apparently their parents work in the palace with their oldest brother who they've never met  and they're not sure why they're not there too. They hope to one day meet them. Blah. Blah. Save it for the movies.

When the knock at the door came I rushed to answer it. "Welcome to my humble home."

They squealed.

"I can't wait to see your name be  called," Kamber exclaimed, her long curly black hair bouncing around as she shifted on her feet

"Hear . I can't wait to hear your name be called," Celia corrected, her also shiny black hair cut short in a bob cut and loosely curled.

Kamber rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen. She set the covered platter on the table. "My grandma is so excited for you. She spent all day preparing some snacks and she is so adamant your going to be our next queen and 'change the fabric of the county."

Celia scoffed. "Grams is a cooc. She thinks she is some sort of physic and whatever."

"She might be a wee bit crazy, but honestly Celia, it almost always comes true in one way or another," Kamber argued. Celia nodded almost solemnly and uncovered the platter, grabbing some croissant looking thing and taking a bite.

"The report is starting Ames!" May yelled. She opened the window and stuck her head out, the call slightly muffled. "Gerad! Stop kicking the ball and come inside. The contestants are about to be announced!"

I sat down and slumped. Maybe I should of just told my mom no. If I had I'd save her from a whole lot of disappointment.

Dad noticed the frown on my face and came to sit next to me. He smoothed my hair and it immediately calmed me somewhat.

"Hey kitten. If your not chosen it's not going to change anything. We will always love you the same. Whether your a queen or not doesn't matter. Your mother is just stuck in the moment," He soothed. I nodded.

"Thanks dad. That really helped. Why does mom think I'll be chosen?" I asked.

"Because You'd make a great queen, kitten," was his brilliant reply.

I don't agree with that. I mean being queen is such a big deal. I'm just a reckless five who'd probably ruin the country in under 2 minutes.

"You don't have to agree. If your chosen, you are sure to win."

He stood up and left to sit with my mother. Kamber sat next to me with May on my other side. Celia sat down by our feet, Gerad sitting next to her
My mom and dad settled into the love seat as the Illean national anthem began to play.

I focused all my attention on the food that Kamber and Celia's grandmother prepared. The croissant rolls were delicious. Nice and buttery and flaky. And there was this dip with these chips that had to have been homemade because no store bought substance could be this good.