Chapter 3

Today was send off day. Today I was going to the palace for who knows how long. And i Am not ready.

The last weeks have been chaotic. The first week I spent a lot of time at my piano. Playing a sad tune and trying to cope with the fact that I was leaving my home. The rest of my family, besides my dad, were practically beaming. They were all too busy buzzing around the house and preparing for all the official selection people, that they didn't notice my fowl mood. In their mind I was probably celebrating with some music, just as happy as they are.

The second week was pure agony. There were fancy people from the 'selection crew' running in circles around me and my family. They're were many uncomfortable conversations, some because the person I was speaking too was too prim and proper, some because of the topic. They were going over guidelines, and there was just so many rules. There are so many tests we have to participate in too determine the next Queen. And it isn't just a bunch of competitions, than they'll pick a winner out of 35 girls. No. Theres eliminations. And I'll be gone on the first day, I'm telling you.

The third week was the best and the worse. By this time i had finally accepted I'm leaving. But now I have to pack. And I can only bring a few select things that will fit into a small bag. So I chose the obvious things. Comfortable clothes to wear while I'm in my room. I've seen the women on the report prance around in those dresses, and they do not look comfy.

And now we're at this point in time. The send off day. I am required to wear what I am referring to as the uniform. It's a simple cream dress that goes to my knees with sleeves to my elbows, and a sash that says Carolina. But I'm learning to fight the right battles. I know that this is the simplest dress that is to grace my body for a long while.

~oOo~

The limousine that I am required to ride in was at the other side of this long red carpet. And the road blocks between me and that car were people. Fans. All calling out my name and holding up signs! I thought I'd hate it but it's actually kind of nice. Most of Carolina Doesn't know Me but there still supporting Me. It's nice. I waved to the people of Carolina as I walked down the carpet. Giving select people I knew hugs. Kamber and Celia clutched me too them and I swear I had to pry there hands off. I reached the end were my family was waiting to say their own goodbyes.

My mom had tears running down her face and was clutching a handkerchief in her hand. She wrapped me in her living embrace and I returned the hug. "I'm so proud of you, America."

"Thank you Mom. I love you," I replied.

"I love you too, darling," She sobbed.

Gared tugged on my dress. "Good luck."

I nodded and gave him a quick hug. "Thank you. Now you do anything you want. You play ball. You hunt bugs. You do art. As long as it makes you happy."

His smile widened. "I'm gona miss you."

"Love you too," I laughed.

May and Kenna was next. They wrapped me up in a miniature group hug

"You looks so grown up. My sisters all grown up," Kenna sighed.

"I'll be back for you know it," I assured her.

"I wouldn't be so sure," May disagreed. "The only reason you would come back is to tell us you won."

I shook my head. "Love you guys."

I looked up at my dad. He was the only one who's opinion truly mattered. As long as he wanted me to go, I would.

"Go get em, kitten," My dad told me as he embraced me.