Chapter 10

I pulled away from his soft lips.

"I can't believe I'm kissing your lips," I mumbled.

"We have been doing it for the past week," he murmured back before capturing my lips between his.

We were sitting on the end of my bed kissing. After we kissed a week ago, I surprisingly didn't punch him. I realized the sort of attraction I had for him, and we're sort of secretly dating now. It's a complicated relationship, but I'm truly happy to be in the palace now. He is the motivation I lacked when I previously came to the palace. He is my reason to stay.

I pushed him away, by pressing my hand against his chest. "I have to go. There is a test today."

"I know. I'm on the judging council," he laughed.

"No! Who-else am I going to make a fool of myself in front of!"

"Your but going to make a fool," Maxon assured me, rubbing his thumb against my cheek tenderly. "But to answer your question my mother, Miss Silvia, and Alaina will also be judging."

"Why Alaina?" I wondered.

"It's a talent contest. I think she is hoping to find a suitable piano teacher, so she weaseled herself onto the judges board," he explained

"A piano teacher?" I said, a small smile gracing my lips. I walked over to my baby white grand piano and played a couple of notes with one hand.

Maxon slapped his palm to his forehead. "I'm so stupid. I knew you played, but I didn't think of mentioning it to Alaina. If you play the piano in front of Alaina, you will definitely ace this test."

"Thanks," I kissed his cheek sweetly. "I'm going to go change." I pulled him up by his arm and pushed him out the door. "And you need to leave for that."

~oOo~

"Girls!" Miss Silvia called to our attention. "Today we have a very important test. As a queen, you must be good to the country, but you also must have qualities that make you relatable to the rest of the country. Talents that the rest of the country needs to survive, aren't necessary for a queen. But they make you closer to your country. Around the room is everything you will need, if it's but here, just tell a maid, and it will be here all. so be talented."

She says the last part rather bluntly, and struts away calling out the first girls name.

To say it bluntly, the girls here weren't rather talented. They were pretty, some of them smart, but they didn't have anything to offer that was marvelous. I'm not saying I'm any different, but from what Ive observed...

"Lady America!"

I made my way over to the piano in the corner were all the instruments sat. I looked a little at the violin, but opted for the piano instead. I sat Down on the bench and stretched my fingers out a bit before gently playing the first couple of notes. I focused on the notes with precision at first, not wanting to mess up, but quickly lost myself in the song. My hands were gliding over the keys and my face broke out into a smile. Across the room, I noticed Alaina break into a similar smile. I topped off the song with some festive notes.

Polite clapping and jealous glares began around the room, and I curtsied slightly before rushing off the stage.

~oOo~