Chapter 18

I was reading my book when she barged into my room in complete hysterics. She was pulling at her hair wildly and her eyes were crazed. Her steps were scattered and her movements were jittered.

Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration....

But she was not okay! Her golden locks were askew and her eyes darted everywhere, never looking at me. It took me a few minutes to calm her down, but finally I got her to sit on my bed and explain what was wrong.

And it freaked me out just as much as it freaked her out 

"What's wrong?" I asked. "Marlee, tell me what's going on."

"I-I-I-I have to leave. I can't be here!" She yelled and attempted to make a bee-line for the door. I held her by her arm and sat her back down.

"Of course you can stay here, Mar. You can tell me anything," I assured her.

She shook her head. "No, I can't be here. In the palace. I have to go, or be eliminated. I can't stay!"

"What's going on? Did something happen to you're family? Did one of the girls say something to you?" I edged, trying to get her to spill.

"No, so much worse. I've fallen in love," she mumbled, like it was some great crime.

"Oh my god! That's amazing!" I squealed, waiting for Marlee to realize this and start jumping up and down repeatedly. Maybe I could even tell her about Maxon...

"No. This country is strictly female rule! You know that. No Kings allowed. We don't Need then. I can't be queen and stay with him. I want to be queen so bad, but it's just not a choice anymore," Marlee sighed.

"I don't want you to leave," I admitted. With the competition getting smaller and more tight, I need a real friend more and more everyday. I thought that was Marlee. She can't leave.

"I know, but he's worth it. He's worth loosing it all," Marlee said.

Which really brought me into my own hysterics. I lov—really, really liked Maxon. I could imagine spending forever with him, but if I Became Queen than that could never happen. No one had ever changed the rule before. I didn't even know if it was possible! Would I have to choose too? Between Maxon and the country? It was an easy choice, but I had gotten this far...was I willing to give it all up for a prince who would be kicked to the curb as soon as this competition was over, only allowed to come back when an heir was needed?

yes

I sighed. "I'm gonna miss you. But I understand." I grabbed her hand and rubbed it gently. "Tell me about him."

A smile lit up her face. "His name is Carter. Well he's a guard. Super handsome with beautiful eyes and hair you just always want to run your hands through." I could imagine. "And he loves his job so I think I would become a maid in the palace. We could share a little apartment near here...and that way I could still see you when you're queen!"

"I don't think that's gonna happen," I mumbled.

"Of course it is!" Marlee exclaimed, not an ounce of doubt in her voice. "You're everyone's favorite!"

"It's not that simple..."

"Sure it is!" She yelled, standing up and heading for the door. "I'm going to go see him!"

"Wait Marlee!" I called. She turned around expectantly.

"You're just gonna...ask to leave?" I asked.

"Of course not. I'm hoping I'll leave in the upcoming convicting elimination. I think it'll happen at dinner tonight."

I tried to ask what would happen if she wasn't eliminated, but she was already gone.