Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO - RIGHT OUT OF A HORROR MOVIE

"Let's go," Roarke demanded, dragging me towards the tree-line.

"Where are we going?" I asked, frantically. My knees were shaking beneath me, barely holding my weight. 

Then, almost as if an angel was looking down on me, a loud, foreign howl rang through the forest. The howl caused Roarke to freeze, along with his pack who all exchanged silent looks. If there was one thing that I had learned about werewolves, it was that they were downright territorial - and an unwanted wolf had ventured his way onto Roarke's territory.

As Roarke started shouting commands, his pack members rushing around, I finally acted. Afraid of what Roarke was going to do with me, I reared my foot back and kicked him in the shin. HARD. His grip loosened on me and I pried myself free, desperately sprinting off into the trees.

A terrifying snarl came from behind me.

The forest was dark and creepy, the perfect place for a horror movie scene. The moonlight didn't help much because of the canopy of leaves. I was running blindly. I was stumbling over twisting roots and losing my balance from the dips in the damp underbrush. 

At one point, I tripped over a treacherous root growing out of the ground and tumbled forward onto my knees. I blinked away my tears, shakily rising back to my feet and taking off once again.

I had no idea where I was going. I had no idea what part of the forest I was in. I had no idea how close the nearest civilization was - even so, who would help me? Who would risk their life to save me from the werewolves?

My own thoughts were causing me to panic, just as I was tackled from behind. The wind left my lungs with a whooshing sound. I gasped for air as strong arms flipped me onto my back. Massive, hard thighs straddled me, pinning me to the forest floor. 

Roarke growled into my face, holding my wrists together above my head. I was still taking deep breaths, trying to fill my lungs with oxygen. His eyes glowed when I shifted beneath him, struggling from his weight. I just needed room to breathe. His body weight was preventing my chest from expanding; I was slowly suffocating. 

"Submit," he ordered, snapping his canines in my face. I mustered a look of confusion as my lungs protested. "Bear your neck to me."

A sign of submission, of course. I felt my face reddening as I stared up at him, frightfully. He wouldn't bite me, would he? I had just kicked him and ran. One chomp into my neck and I was gone, but was death better at this point? What if what he had planned for me was worse than death?

I made the decision that suffocating was not how I wanted to die. My stubbornness wasn't going to kill me just yet.

I rolled my head to one side, offering my neck. 

A tremor of fear traveled through me when he lowered his face to the crook of my neck. I began to silently plead that he didn't bite me - when he exhaled loudly, his breath tingled my skin. The goosebumps were immediate and when he pulled back, he was looking at me with a dark expression. "Don't try that again."

I was relieved when he slid off me. I inhaled deeply, finally feeling my lungs expand. However, this moment of relief was abruptly ended when he roughly pulled me to my feet. "I thought that I made it clear that you're mine."

"I-I'm not," I stuttered, bravely. "Just let me go! Please! You don't want me!" 

He growled. "If that was true, you'd be dead."

I took a step backwards and he moved forward, his shoulders stiff. I stumbled away from him until my back hit the trunk of a tree. When I tried to move from it, he was suddenly face-to-face with me, trapping me there. My eyes widened in surprise when he pushed his chest against mine, not leaving even an inch between us.