Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE - A LITTLE PARTY NEVER HURT NOBODY

Let me tell you right now, I've always hated parties.

Maurice approached me from behind and slipped a golden necklace around my neck, fidgeting with the clasp. 

Once it was on, she gently grabbed my arms and turned me to face her, so she could admire her work. She had dressed me carefully - a flashy red dress with an open back, black heels, and golden jewelry. My hair had been washed and curled, cascading down my back like a waterfall. My makeup was natural for the most part, except for the red lipstick.

"You're so beautiful, hun," she said, her eyes shining. "Alpha Roarke chose a beautiful dress, didn't he?"

I smoothed my hands down the front. "It's nice."

"I want to see his reaction when he sees you," Maurice said, unable to contain her excitement. "He will look handsome next to you in his suit." She clapped her hands together, then grabbed her velvet purse from the bed. "Come, he's waiting for you."

I nervously followed her out of the bedroom, walking down the hallway. My heels clacked against the floorboards, so Roarke heard me coming. He was facing the fireplace, staring into the flickering flames, but once he was alerted of my presence, he turned around with his hands in his pockets.

His dark eyes moved over me, filled with desire at the sight of me in red. The color went well with my white skin and dark hair. He didn't forget to skim my legs, which looked longer and toner because of the heels. 

He walked to me, extending his hand. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," I murmured, glancing at Maurice who was beaming. Roarke didn't look too bad in his tuxedo. I was aware that his tie matched my dress. I placed my hand in his, feeling the callouses on his palm. His fingers instantly enclosed my hand, swallowing it. The small action hinted his possessiveness of me. 

"Come on, we better get moving," Maurice said, heading towards the door. There was still a happy smile on her face. "Everybody is waiting on you two."

Roarke pulled me into his body, his arm now encircling my waist. Even in my heels, I realized that he was still several inches taller than me. Keeping me tucked into his body, he led me out the front door and lifted me down the broken front steps. He helped Maurice down too, then immediately returned to my side.

A fancy Escalade rolled up in front of the house. 

Maurice climbed into the passenger seat while Roarke helped me into the backseat. In the vehicle, Roarke buckled me and remained as close as he could to me. I peered at the driver, recognizing him - Blake, his Beta.

His dark hair was combed back and his green eyes were wild. Like Roarke, he was wearing a suit, but his was a navy shade. 

Blake looked over his shoulder at us. "Everybody ready?"

Roarke nodded once, then we were on our way.

During the ride, Roarke sat beside me. Quiet. And I sat there, quiet too. He watched me in the darkness and whenever our eyes met, his gaze softened. At one point, he ducked his head into my curls and inhaled deeply, calmed. But, we didn't speak a word; it was as if our eyes were speaking for us.

We eventually parked outside a large, elegant building. My heart was beating too hard. Too fast. And I needed to think of anything else to keep calm. The vehicle was checked at the gate and every guest was vetted before they entered - safety precautions, Roarke had told me. 

At the massive doors, several men greeted Roarke in respect. They barely glanced at me, just nodded in acknowledgment. I had a feeling that they were scared to speak to me in front of Roarke.