Chapter Twelve

Thank you to @laughing_foreverer for the cover! ^

Things are about to get more dark! Just when you thought things were getting better, it goes downhill again! Poor Chloe :( #savechloe

                                                         ~ Lissa

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER TWELVE - YOU COULD'VE STOPPED IT

Now, I'm sure you are wanting the fun details of this girls night.

I will briefly tell you what happened - we drank a little too much, Scarlett threw a few remarks at Rudy, and we shared bits of our lives to each other.

In a way, I was able to understand both of them.

Scarlett valued herself and cared for only one man, whom she would protect by not accepting him. The ugly ways of werewolves had turned her cold, detached, perhaps lost. She wasn't willing to take risks, no matter how rebellious she seemed. But, she was willing to sacrifice love and her happiness for his safety, and he would never understand that.

Josephine was the woman who wore sundresses and flowery scarfs. She created homemade jewelry in her spare time and scribbled poetry down in her journals. She kissed as easily as she breathed and she soothed anybody's pain with her gentleness. She was completely in love with Blake and desperately wanted a family.

You're probably upset that I'm skipping over the laughs and dancing of the night. But, must I remind you, this story is about my survival. There were moments where things weren't so bad. There were people who weren't so bad. But, this story is about my survival - and how I may or may not have survived.

So, around midnight, I had to once again survive.

To be more specific, I had to fight for my life. As if things couldn't get any worse, they did. This is where things became so fucked up.

I was sitting on the couch with Scarlett and Josephine, sipping a glass of water. We were watching an old comedy show, trying to sober up a little bit. Rudy was seated in the recliner, not ever speaking a word, but watching the show with us, as if he was a close friend. Girls night was coming to end as all of us were growing tired.

It was the sudden howl that started it all.

Being the naive human that I was, I remember saying, "They must be catching something out there, huh?"

I hadn't noticed that all three of them had gone rigid. It wasn't until Rudy jumped to his feet that I realized that something was wrong. Josephine and Scarlett grabbed for each other while Rudy peeked out the nearest window, instantly growling.

"Go lock yourselves in a room," Rudy ordered, shutting the curtains. "Now."

Shock washed through me, preventing me from reacting, so Scarlett forcefully pulled me out of the living room. More howls erupted from outside, but they were howls of pain and dominance. The wolves patrolling the area, by orders of Roarke, were being killed. The intruders were howling in victory.

Scarlett pulled me into Roarke's bedroom, slamming the door shut behind us. She locked it, then scampered over to the single window, locking it as well. Pieces of her hair were sticking to her sweaty forehead as she tried not to panic.

"It's not going to keep them out," Josephine spoke up, shaking her head. "They will break down the door o-or through the window."

Scarlett faced her. "Well, what else do you suggest we do?" Josephine sputtered for words, rubbing her upper arms in fear. Scarlett lifted her head, angling her nose. "Take a whiff. It's the Monclaw Pack. They're here."