20 | maybe

20 | maybe

“Maybe I don't know, and maybe that's okay.”

      Austin decided to spend more 'quality time' with me, concluding that we haven't spent a lot of time together for the past month

      Austin decided to spend more 'quality time' with me, concluding that we haven't spent a lot of time together for the past month. Once again, he bribed me, saying that he'd buy me ice cream. It was an awfully hot day and I honestly had nothing better to do.

      But Austin being Austin, he wanted to change into a dirty white shirt. One reason why was probably because I was wearing one, and wanted to pull off a little sibling twinning, or that a lot of girls found him attractive in white.

      Either way, I was willing to wait. You have my bag of sand, A? My phone vibrates and as soon as I read it, I didn't even need to read the ID to know it was Ella.

      I immediately smile and type back, Sadly not. It's pretty hard to find sand around these parts. If she didn't know that was sarcasm, Ella isn't Ella anymore. She's basically known for her optimistic and sarcastic personality.

      Aw, boo. You could at least give me snow.

      I laugh at her response. Snow in the middle of summer? Now that's an easy one. Austin came down the stairs with the newly changed shirt and bobbed his head towards the door, as if saying that we should be headed off. Gotta go. I'll bring you your snow as soon as I can. Love ya. Then I switched my phone off and jogged to where Austin was waiting.

      "You better have my ice cream, Austin," I nudge him by the elbow and he chuckles. "I'm bolting back to the house if you joked about that. You know me well enough never to do that again."

     Austin laughs, just as I expected him to. "I do," he says, flicking his hair to a side. "Which is exactly why we're going to buy that first. Just in case you keep on nagging about it when we're out on this perfect, sunny day, the blue water crashing back and forth against the - "

     "Don't go all poetic on me, Austin," I stop him before he continues his pathetic poetry. "In all honesty as a sister, it doesn't suit you. Like, at all."

     We've already had this argument several times. I remember in middle school where Austin said he wanted to become a poet, or a writer in general. I supported him of course, since he was my brother. (Although I wouldn't have if he wasn't.) He aske me to read one of his 'masterpieces' as he liked to call it, and I didn't like a single bit of it. But obviously, that's not what I told him.

     Eventually he found out that I lied about it, and that being a poet will one, get him no where, and two, will make him seem 'gay' - something I really didn't understand then and now, and three, will force him to be working in an old workshop at age forty and still not be successful and famous, because apparently famous also means successful in his vocabulary.