Chapter 3 - How it all begun

Third person POV

The birds were tweeting loudly outside Pea's room and a streak of sunlight was peeping though the curtains. Pea's eyes fluttered open after quite a good nights rest. He was about to sit up when he remembered, he was cuddling Sunny. Pea's face flushed red.

His crush was cuddling him.

He nervously looked around to try and remember what had happened. Then it all came flooding back. Pea was so tired last night he nearly forgot how he got in this (lovely) situation. "Oh right..we were watching a movie then we drifted to sleep.." Pea thought to himself. He quietly sighed in relief knowing nothing else happened like and attack or battle. He was about to drift back to sleep when-

"Morning Pea.."

Sunny was looking up at him with her hazel eyes sparkling in the sunlight. Her petals were golden crisp and she had freckles sprinkled across her nose. "God your beautiful" Pea thought to himself, he'd never seen Sunny up this close and it was all new to him. "Morning Sunny" Pea responded, struggling to find the words. Sunny then sat up, letting go of Pea. "I'll go make some breakfast and Pea..?" Sunny turned to face him.

"Thanks for last night..it meant a lot to me"

Sunny smiled gently before turning back around towards the kitchen. Pea felt his face warming up and he hoped he wasn't blushing as much as he thought he was. He sat up off the couch and went to the window. He breathed in the fresh air and sighed in relaxation. He wished he could stay like this forever. He didn't want to battle the zombies, he just wanted to be with Sunny. She made him happy ever since they met...

*FLASHBACK*

Pea was nervous to walk into the Zen garden nursery where all the fellow plants were. Crazy Dave told him: "just get out there and have fun!" But Pea wasn't really a confident type. He sighed and swung the glass door open and he slipped inside as quietly and quickly as he could. Only to notice most of the eyes were on him. Pea rushed behind a bench only to have everyone ignore him and get back to their daily routines.

"Guess your an odd one too huh?" A girls voice said nearby.

Pea jumped out of fright and turned to his left to see a sunflower. She was an ordinary girl with freckles sprinkled across her nose and hazel eyes. She just smiled at him "dude, careful you could knock something over" she giggled. Pea swallowed dryly "aren't you going to hang out with your other flower friends?" Pea muttered, looking away. The sunflower looked at him with a shocked face then he saw her eyes go sad. "They don't like me because I'm not...girly" The golden petaled girl struggled to find the right words. "I'll leave you alone if you want..I-". "No no it's alright..sorry for upsetting you" Pea frantically shook his pea pods about.

"Well!" Said the sunflower, her mood instantly changing from sad to happy. "I'm Sunny, Sunny the sunflower! Nice to meet you". "I'm Peashooter..but you can just call me Pea" Pea said, slightly amused by her. "Golly it's nice to finally talk to someone here" Sunny sighed. "I guess it's nice for you too huh?". "Oh yeah, it's nice.." Pea said sheepishly.

And every since then they had been best friends. They always went to hang out at each other's places and play video games. But then everything changed..

Bullets, rockets, guns, and the terrible cries of plants being vanquished. The zombies had begun an all launch attack on the plants. This was the day the endless war between plants and zombies begun. Crazy Dave was bringing all the younger saplings and plants to safety in his caravan whilst the older plants held them off. Pea was a tween at the time and he frantically rushed over to Daves van, then he froze as he realised. He couldn't see Sunny on the van.

Pea instantly changed plans and ran straight towards the Zen garden where Sunny most likely was. He opened the door with such a force the glass panes smashed into a million pieces on the floor. He saw other plants running out of the glass palace but he saw that Sunny was hiding under a desk. He rushed over there at hyper force speed and patted her shoulder. She turned round and what Pea saw broke his heart. Her normal bubbly smile was gone and her hazel eyes were welled with tears. She held her leaf to her stem where green plant blood was leaking slightly. "Pea..." she managed to blurt out. "Just..leave me..it's no use" Sunny looked up at him hopefully. Pea jolted at the words and refused to let her die like this. "No! I won't let this happen to you!" Pea yelled. He suddenly picked her up bridal style and ran at all his might to the van. He kicked the door open with his stem leafs and ran at mega flower speed. The zombies were close by and Pea had to hurry. Crazy Dave has started the engine and saw Pea and Sunny frantically trying to make it. "Hurry guys!" A chomper yelled along with many other plants. Pea jumped the highest he could ever jump and just about landed through the window. Sunny had fainted but she wasn't vanquished, Pea noticed this and rushed to Dave.

"Can you heal her? Please! Save her" Pea shook Dave a little with his peapods shaking from the nervousness. "Sorry pal..I gotta move the van outta here" Dave sighed. Before Peashooter could respond Dave had checked for anymore plants and most of them were onboard. Dave zoomed through the portal. And before you knew it they were in space. "Now.." Dave said turning around, he rubbed his beard with his knuckles."I can heal her..but all of you plants must know...that we can't go home.." Dave looked at the floor, sadness in his eyes. "We will find a new home! Earth has been wiped out of humanity for years now, so let's settle there!" The plants looked confused and some of them were muttering to one another. Pea was healing Sunny carefully, since he was only a beginner at this. Dave was finding the directions to earth whilst many other plants were helping one another.