chapter four; milkshakes and m&ms

Sandra had been pushing her sister to contact Dylan. Whether it was a simple text message or a phone call, Clara just had to, according to Sandra. She told Clara she believed Dylan hadn't just been was there to try out the bed. He was there to talk to her, end of discussion.

After the third time, Clara had enough. She grabbed her phone, sent her sister a glare and searched Dylan's name in her contacts.

Wait, no. No, no, no. She didn't want to call him. Texting was much easier. Why, why? What in hell was she doing?

"Hi, it's Dylan. Who's this?"

No, no, no, no. What was she going to say? What if he had forgotten who she was?

"I, ehm-... It's Clara. You met me at IKEA a few days ago," Clara stammered, running her hand through her hair and then pulling at it in frustration. "I don't know if you remember me."

"Of course I remember you," he seemed to smile. She heard it in his voice. "How are you doing?"

Clara actually wanted to squeal and just-... Ugh, what handsome boys did to her. They really had no idea. "I'm fine. How about you?"

"Everything's going well," he said and then sighed in frustration. A noise was heard before that, a noise that sounded like something had fallen on the floor. "God, but I'm totally in need of a break. Would you like to go to McDonald's to get ice cream or something?"

She smiled, then quickly frowned. "But where do you live? You live probably in Los Angeles, right? I live in Hermosa Beach. That's like more than 30 minutes away."

"How do you know I live in L.A?"

"It's typical," she replied, blushing in embarrassment as she giggled. "Everyone lives there."

He laughed, "Alright. Yeah, a lot of people live there. Props to you." A pause. "Why don't you text me your address and I'll pick you up?"

Butterflies exploded in her stomach and she asked herself how she was ever going to survive this. She didn't know how to act around him. What was there to talk about? There were probably going to a lot of awkward silences.

And even worse, she didn't know this guy. He could be a criminal, stealing bags from older women and robbing banks. After all, he looked rather familiar.

"Yeah-... Definitely, yeah. I'll text you the adress."

"That doesn't sound very convincing," Dylan figured, after hearing Clara's high pitched voice. "How about I'll drive to McDonald's in Hermosa Beach and we meet there?"

"That'd be great," Clara laughed, a little less nervous. "Thank you."

"Anything," was the only reply Dylan had. "I'll be there in half an hour."

When she said her goodbye, she hung up and turned to Sandra who was still standing there with her bag over her shoulder.

"Tell me!"

"We're meeting at McDonald's in about 30 minutes to get ice cream."

"So romantic," Sandrarolled her eyes sarcastically, but smiled anyway. she was happy for her little sister to finally get some action. "But have fun. It's time for me to go."

"I'll talk to you later!"

Because Clara had to wait for at least fifteen minutes, she returned back to her homework. She had to do something to keep herself busy.

----

"Clara?" she heard a someone calling from behind. She knew that voice and wanted to avoid turning around, but there was no chance at hiding. Jesse had already seen her.