chapter thirty-three; douche

Dylan was on his way to the isle where the ice cream would be, he was acting as quick as possible because he wanted to get back. Clara would be with people she didn't know, plus he was rather hungry for food.

Just when he pasted the corner to the freezers, he noticed a employee standing there. He looked familiar but not in his work clothes, usually he would be wearing a white t-shirt underneath a leather jacket. Perhaps he would be smoking a cigarette, standing outside of the school, on top of that talking to Clara, or giving her a birthday present. Wait, or be at the same party as her.

It was Jesse.

Now he understood, Clara didn't want him to go to Walmart because of him. But he wasn't afraid of him, he wasn't afraid of anyone and so he walked to the freezer to search for ice cream. He could feel Jesse's eyes on him while he grasped for a tin, all he could do was ignore him until Jesse said something.

"You're the guy, aren't you?"

Dylan turned his head to him and simply nodded. Who else would he would mean by 'the guy'? He never imagined Clara talking about him, there was no way he could've had known his name, or who he really was for that matter.

"Have you spoken to her lately?"

If he told him the truth Jesse would stop talking to him, if he didn't he would probably tell him what he thought about her. Would he want that? Or was this all he needed to know to figure out he had feelings for the girl who was at his parents right now?

"Yeah, I have."

"Oh, ehm, how's she?"

He wasn't only surprised but slightly pissed off. Whatever this guy thought he was doing, he had to stop because this wasn't going anywhere. Trying to make a conversation with him about Clara, like he wanted to-... He didn't know what he was doing, it was all very suspicious.

"How do you think she is doing?"

"Well, to be honest she's a bit of a confusing lady, that's why I'm asking you."

He had to leave. Right now.

"She's doing great, but she's waiting for me at my parents, so I have to go now," he took a few steps back, sending him a wave. It was a kind of immature for his doing, he knew. He knew, but what else was he supposed to say. It was the truth. "Take care, man."

"You too," he waved back, before he turned around to continue what he was doing.

Douche.

 ----

"No, no, I'm a bartender actually..." Lucas spoke, putting his arm over the chair behind his girlfriend, as he took another bite of the macaroni. Clara had been silently listening to the parents asking all kinds of different question to the man sitting in front of her, it didn't bother her that much so once in a while Julia gave her a smile. She just hoped they wouldn't ask her things until Dylan would be back.

Speaking of Dylan, suddenly they all heard the front door opening and closing, the brunette walking into the room with a tin of ice cream in his hand. "Guys, I'm so sorry I couldn't get here earlier. The traffic-..."

She automatically smiled, watching his mom shake his head and gesture to the chair next to the blonde. He sat down, putting a warm hand on her thigh and started to eat. "We were just talking about what Lucas does for work."

"Oh right, he's a bartender. He quite a learner, isn't he?"

"You actually have to go to college to become a bartender," Julia defended, glaring at him with her big brown eyes. They were the typical brother and sister, teasing and joking until one of them got offended. But did they love each other. "Unlike you, you didn't even go to college to become an actor-..."