chapter thirty-one; love

"I can sleep on the couch tonight."

Dylan was sitting too far away from her, playing nervously with his hands as he said the words. He wanted her to stay, but hoped he didn't have to ask her if she would like so because how would he do that?

He watched her turn away from the book that was lying on her lap and it did seem like she got the idea, and he felt relieved only if she would've instantly replied. She didn't, she just looked at him with her beautiful eyes and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

All he could do was wait, he wasn't sure for how long, he just assumed it would be the best he could do right now. Maybe he went to fast; he kissed her, he freaking kissed her and he the thought she would sleep over the same day. Would she really do that?

He got the answer when she closed her book and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, I mean... if you think that's comfortable then I'll be fine in a warm bed on my own-..."

"Don't worry about it," a smile was plastered on his face and he tried to hide it by scratching his nose. If he had the guts to say how much better he felt with her sleeping in the same apartment, he would've done it. "Why don't you take a shower? I'll grab you some clothes to sleep in."

"Okay," she stood up and yawned, slowly walking towards the bedroom. He went after her, opening his wardrobe to look for something while she was in the bathroom. Possibly undressing. Would she be?  Oh my God, stop thinking about it-...  "Dylan?"

"Yeah?"

"What time is it?"

Dylan grabbed his phone out of his pockets at the same time it went off. It was his mom, they'd always call one another once a week just to talk about how their day or how everything was going and he totally forgot about it. "Oh, babe. I have to take this-..."

Before she could say something or before he could realize what he had said, he already picked up and held his phone against his ear. "Mom, hey, how are you doing?"

"I'm fine, honestly. I just wanted to ask if you if you'd like come over this weekend."

 He mentally cursed, reaching for one of his shirts and throwing them on the bed. What he wanted was to relax and maybe go out with Tyler, plus have that date with Clara-... Well, not to forget that he hadn't done anything this week, like grocery shopping. There was nothing in the refrigerator. So much to do, so little time. "When are you thinking?"

"Well, tomorrow. Have dinner with us, your sister's coming with her boyfriend."

"Her boyfriend? Since when does she have a boyfriend?"

His mom seemed to smile, he could hear by her high pitched voice. Just like Clara did instead of raising her voice. "Since a weeks ago, remember? Dylan, do you even have contact at all? You are brother and sister, for goodness' sake."

"Mom, I try. I'm just busy."

"You're busy, with what?"

"Things, like-... Well, you know, life."

"We're a part of your life. I even gave birth to you-..."

"Mom, I know. Please," he laughed, so did she he heard as he sat down on the bed. "Just tell me when you're having dinner tomorrow. I'll come over."

He waited a moment for his mom to ask her husband what time was best, getting an answer back from him and then went back to talk in the phone. "Oh, darling. 4 PM is fine, maybe you can help us prepare dinner. I've always loved your cooking skills."

"Yeah, I know."

"Okay, then I'll see you tomorrow. I can't wait."

"Neither do I," he paused, sighing because he obviously regret he didn't make time to call Julia and he had no idea she had a boyfriend. He remembered calling her before getting the apartment, that was a month ago. He was busy, yeah, but also stupid. "Mom, I'm sorry. I'll make sure to do some bonding with Jul, perhaps ask the boyfriend some questions."