CHAPTER FOUR

In my frantic run earlier, I haven't even realized that I have already passed the receptionist. Kate had a bubbly personality and she was a talkative one too.

I followed Kate and after walking for about 4 minutes, we stopped at a door. It had the sign 'stairs' written in bold red letters and I was sure my face had that expression where I ask for explanation without saying a word.

Don't tell me they don't have elevators around here? Even my shitty apartment building has one.

"what's with that look? I'm not gonna kill you or anything. I just wanted to show you where the stairs are just in case. I wish somebody showed me where they were when I was a newbie here,because you know depending too much on elevators is not healthy at all. you should try the stairs too,okay?" she explained while opening the door for us to enter.

Would you look at her giving the new employee advice, what a good hearted woman.

"of course,who better to advise me than my senior?" I replied while climbing the stairs trying to keep up with her enthusiastic leap from one stair to the other.

While I was busy keeping up with her, She turned to face me and said,
"well this is where we part,if you need me, I will be on Thirty seventh floor. Ask any one there to get to me everybody knows me. It was nice meeting you by the way."

I scanned my surroundings, I noticed that we were in a hallway on the second floor and I had no idea how we got here.

"Thank you very much and it was nice meeting you too. I will come look for you if I get hired here."I said still unsure about my interview having good results.

"you will get hired for sure, after all I've found you after so long." she said with a sweet smile.

Found me? What does that mean?

"you are late now,hurry up." she said waving her hand goodbye.

By now I was clearly distracted and a nervous wreck but I didn't show it. At least I hope I didn't show too much.
I stood by the door for a few minutes, before finally mustering some courage, and knocking on the door.

"Come in." I heard someone say in a bored voice.

I stepped into the office and saw a man in his mid forties who looked like he would rather be anywhere but here . He gestured for me to sit down and I did so, then he started talking.

"So you are Eliana Joyce?well of course you are. You wouldn't be here if you weren't. So you're going to be the COO's secretary or should I say next victim? I'm sure you will only last about 6 months top. That's -"

Victim?! Is my boss a serial killer or what?

He was interrupted by a phone ringing and I could hear bits of the conversation from his side that went like,

"yes. she is here.of course. I will send her right away,ma'am."

Is he talking about me?hello!I'm sitting waiting for him to do whatever he does to get my job and he's talking to another person about me. how rude!

"Ms.Grayson wants to meet you. Go to the 40th floor and the second door to your right is where you will meet her . Go now. " and with that very helpful information about who she is -note the sarcasm he sent me off to wander in this cruel jungle filled with beasts called business people.

yes,I'm dramatic so what!? Everybody has their coping mechanism and I have been like this ever since the American war of Independence.

Anyway I'm currently in the elevator, trying to calm my breathing because of two reasons.

1) because I'm totally afraid of closed places like elevators and,

2) because I'm meeting someone I don't know but is clearly a person with power.

Ding.

The voice of the elevator brought me back to reality and I started walking towards the said door.

deep breath. come on Eliana. we have been through worse. We can do this.

But getting called here is probably not good. Was it because I was late? Was it my application letter?my CV perhaps?

Oh my god are they going to fire me without even being hired?Oh my god I'm not making sense! did I do or say something wrong?

Okay. I am over thinking.

With all those unanswered questions in my mind, I opened the door after hearing come in and my jaws fell at the sight in front of me.