CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Killian POV

“Am I not your son? Did you adopt me?” I stared intently at my mom to detect any sudden change of emotion on her face. I was standing in front of her,both my hands on her table with my eyes busy staring at her face and then shifting to her typing fingers.

“To be honest, I found you in a park near our house when you were only an infant,you were crying so loud trying to catch my attention and you did. I took you home,fed you and we also danced gangnam style. You were such a cute baby.” my mom's hands hadn't even stopped typing for a second while she so effortlessly constructed this string of lie and narrated it like it was real.

Of course, she is the master of this game!

“ Ever considered being a writer? I think a writing career would suit you so perfectly. With this talent, you could be the next bestselling author!”  I complimented my mom for seeing through my real intention: to get her pity before I present my real agenda.

“ I will consider a career in writing when I don't have to respond to hundred something emails that complain about the the same problems whose solutions I've yet to provide. I'm busy,Killian. Now get out of here and stop distracting me.” she said without sparing me a glance not even once.

“ Fire her.”

“Not happening.” this time the typing hands stopped and all the focus was shifted from the laptop screen to me.

Is that secretary more worthy of attention than me?

“ then I will fire her.” I challenged my mom, crossing my hands over my chest in a daring manner.

Whoever her first name is, that Joyce secretary was definitely not sound in the mind. How could a human being throw a heel, made for walking on hard surfaces, at another living, breathing human? She is crazy. Mind you but that's just a huge turn off.

“ over my dead body, Killian.” she replied with a daring look of her own.

“ mom, she wants to kill me. She despises me, who throws a heel at a person,huh? Does dad know about this attempted murder? He is going to lose his precious son and you're going to be responsible. What do you even see in her?” I said everything slowly so that my mother could understand what is really happening.

She has definitely Bewitched my mom.

“You know why I chose her, Killian?” she looked at me with a questioning look.

please enlighten me!” I answered eager to know what made that Joyce girl better than those other applicants.

She ties her hair in a bun which I  absolutely despise, she talks back to me which is absolutely inappropriate and shows her lack of discipline. She stands out like a sore toe and that is totally unattractive. There is nothing good I can say about her.

“She hates you, that's why.”

“ You've got to be kidding me?! This is unacceptable! You've rejected the other applicants who are more intelligent and have more experience than her, for what,mom? Because she hates me? Are you listening to yourself right now?” I paced back and forth in her office to fully understand the meaning behind my mom's answer. I found nothing but absurdity.

“ She was the safest option! She was the only one who had no attraction to you. She was the only girl who didn't look like the girl that would appear  beside you in a scandal I have to prevent from being published all over the magazines. She was my last resort ,Killian. I can't keep on worrying about your secretaries being fired every 6 months and trying to get money out of me by mentioning about your relationships being abusive. I'm just tired of those gold diggers.” she said angrily her tone rising with every word she utters.

“What if she is just the same? What makes you think that you can judge a person just by looking? You can never know what she might be thinking. Her 'hate' could change one day,then what are you going to do? ” I replied frustrated at the fact that she thought she could judge people by just looking at them.

“ nothing you say will change my mind, I have already decided. Unless she voluntarily says ' I quit' you cannot fire her no matter the case.”

“ well you gave me a fucking fantastic idea!” I said leaving her office and slamming the door shut.

If I can't fire her, I can always make her fall in love.

She hates me? Don't be so sure,Mom.

                             •••
Stay tuned.

Stay safe.

-xael❤️