Part 27

"Blair, I can't believe you. How could you not tell me that you are marrying Daniel", Serena shouted walking back and forth in front of me, her hands on her forehead. 

"Serena calm down. I didn't think that this would be a big deal", I said walking over to her, holding her shoulders down. She broke away from my grip and started shouting again. 

"Calm down! You expect me to calm down. I am always with or around you. I am your secretary for gods sake. What if he caught me? What if he tried to do something to me", she said banging her head, tears now in her eyes. 

"Serena please, I am sor-"

"Cut your crap. You lied to me. I don't think I can do this anymore", she said, tears soaking her shirt. 

"Do what anymore?", I asked. She turned her back to me and just stood there for a minute. 

"Serena can you hear me?", I was going to go and turn her around but then she started talking.

"I've decided", she said, now turning around.

"Decided what?", I asked perplexed.

"I am leaving"

"Leaving? Where?"

"Away from here. Far as I can go".

"Why would you want to leave?"

"Blair", she said looking me in the eye, "I finally found a stable job without Nathan's help. I like it here. Except you work for Daniel. And now you are marrying Daniel. That means he is going to be around you a lot. And soon enough, he is going to make you his personal assistant. I wanted to stop running, but I can't be around Daniel. I am sorry", she said, wiping away her tears.

"Well what about Nathan? You guys are in love with each other. Shouldn't you stay for him?". She looked away and grabbed her bag from the floor.

"Me and Nathan were not meant to be. It's best not to stay together. Just tell him I will be okay and I'll miss him. Here, give this letter to him". With that she left the room. I was going to chase after her, but I got a phone call at that moment. I went over to my desk to take the call.

"Hello, this is Blair Hanes. How may I help you?"

"Oh hello there Blair. Thank you for picking up. We haven't exactly met but my name is Heather Kerrington, Daniel's mother". I didn't know Daniel had a mother. I figured she wasn't in the picture since no one talked about her. Why was she calling me?

"Hi, is there a reason for your call?"

"Yes there is. Has he given you the ring yet", she asked.

"Excuse me? What ring?", I asked confused.

"Damn that boy. Putting work before his own wife".

"Ma'am, I think you are confused with someone else. Now if you don't mind, I must go back to work".

"I am sorry. Am I not talking to Blair Hanes?"

"Yes you are but-"

"Oh Blair, I apologize. I am talking about Daniel. I thought he already gave you the engagement ring".

"What? I never agreed to any engagement. Has Daniel told you that I agreed to marry him?", I asked, anger laced in my voice. The other side of the line went quiet. 

"What", was all she said. "I don't understand". I was about to say something but my office door opened. I looked up to find Nathan, walking in. 

"I'm sorry, but can I call you back", I said. I didn't wait for her response and just hung up.