Chapter 25

**| Luke's POV |**

I stared at the back door when I first heard the chaos break out. There was a loud bang that sounded awfully like a gunshot.

Not even a moment later, North was on the line, talking about gun shots. There was a shooter.

My heart stopped as the gravity of it all settled into my body. Someone was shooting. And my little brother was in the middle of it.

I stayed low and against the building as I ran back to the front of the house. I pressed up against the side as I heard some more shooting and people talking, one of them a female voice, most likely Maybe Sang.

I drew in a breath and slowly released it, trying to calm myself. I wouldn't be any good if I panicked. I could get North hurt, or myself. I really didn't want to get hurt. I didn't like pain.

Finally, after drawing up all the courage the world had to offer, I peeked around the corner to take in the scene. I could barely see North's hulking form on the porch, tucked behind a small tipped over table. The front door was closed and I could hear children yelling and screaming inside.

Another shot was made and the wood on the doorframe splintered with little bits of wood flying around.

My ear buzzed with everyone trying to figure out what was going on and how to fix it. I went down lower to make myself a smaller target because apparently, the shooter wasn't all that good if they were hitting the door frame. I wasn't even sure what they were shooting at. Definitely not at North if they were hitting the door and not at the people inside because the door was closed.

Why were they still shooting?

Then I got my answer when the door flung open and the man stepped out with a rifle. He quickly took aim and shot before hiding in the house again. I tried to figure out where he was shooting but I couldn't see anything in all the darkness. I squinted my eyes.

"Everyone hold," I warned, knowing they were already on their way here. "I can't spot the shooter."

"We can't just leave North on the porch," Nathan spoke up.

"Is anyone hurt? North? Luke?" Sean asked.

"I'm fine," North said.

"Me too," I replied. "I'm trying to get eyes on the shooter now."

"You better fucking stay where you are," North growled.

I didn't reply because really, his command was useless right now. What was he going to do? Chase after me and get himself shot. I paused for a moment and thought about it.

Shit. He would do that. Stupid brother. Well, I just needed to do this before he even noticed.

I eyed the area, taking note of where every tree and bush was. An idea slowly formed in my head. We were at a weird impasse and I didn't see it ending anytime soon. Who knew how many bullets the shooter had on them.

Again I stared out into the tree line looking for any signs.

The door opened and two shots were fired, someone swore but the door slammed shut again. This was a weird shoot-out, not that I'd ever been in one before. And after this experience, I didn't want to be in one again, unless it was during a round of Call of Duty.

The next time more shots were fired, I watched carefully and then there. Right there, up in the tree. That man was never going to hit the shooter. This was a game for a ninja. I slowly backed away from the front of the cabin and then sprinted to the side, sliding through the grass and into the bushes.