6

"Tell me everything!" Emma demands as I get into her car.

"Wow, demanding much?" I ask, buckling up.

Emma pouts. "C'mon, Brae, please?"

"We went out for ice cream and got to know each other. That's all," I reply.

"Your ears are red, so you're either lying it leaving something out," she replies, pulling out of my driveway.

I sigh, "I almost kissed him."

She looks at me. "What?!"

"Hey, eyes on the road!" I exclaim.

"You almost kissed Ridge McCain! Did I hear that right?"

I give her a flat look, and she grins. "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Do you know what this means?!" she screeches.

"No, Emma," I reply.

"He likes you! Did he ask you out again?"

"Yes."

She pulls into the school's parking lot then parks in her usual spot. Then, she turns to me. "What did you say?" She asks.

"I would think about it," I say, getting out.

She opens her door and gets out, leaning over the top. "Braelyn Josephine Sawyer, you said what?!" she exclaims, causing everyone to look our way.

My face turns red from embarrassment. "Shh! Keep your voice down!" I hiss.

"Why'd you say that?!" she exclaims, her voice rising.

I look around, and I see Marcus walking toward us. I look back at Emma. "Because he's dated almost every stuck up Malibu Barbie here."

"You have to go on another date," she says.

"Hey, what's going on?" Marcus asks, wrapping an arm around Emma's waist.

She groans, "Braelyn went out for ice cream with Ridge yesterday and almost kissed him. Then, when he asked her out again, she said maybe!"

He looks at me. "You went out with Ridge McCain?"

"He showed up at my door, and he refused to leave until I did!" I exclaim.

"That's adorable!" she says.

I throw my hands up. "You're impossible!" I reply then walk away.
××××××
I walk into my creative writing class, and I take my seat. I grab my notebook and a pencil then look up. Ridge stands in front of mg desk. I give him a flat look. "What are you doing here?" I ask.

"To get an education, duh," Ridge replies, taking a seat beside me.

"I mean in this class, dummy."

He looks over at me, smiling. "If I told you, it would make you mad," he says.

I raise an eyebrow. "I still want to know," I say.

"To be with you, of course," Ridge says.

I roll my eyes. "I'm not looking for a relationship, Ridge," I say.

"You didn't give me that notion when you tried to kiss me," He says, leaning back so the chair is on its back legs.

I kick the chair, making him fall backwards. The whole class laughs. I smile down at him innocently. "Why, Ridge, you know that all four legs of the chair are supposed to be on the floor," I say.

"Mr. McCain, why are you on the floor?" Mr. Tillman asks, walking into the classroom.

"I fell," he says, looking at me then standing up. He situates his chair then sits down.

"Well, be more careful next time, won't you? Why are even in my class?" Mr. Tillman asks.

"I switched classes, sir," he says.

Mr. Tillman nods. "Okay. Now, let's get started, shall we?"

I lean over to Ridge. "If I recall, you leaned in first, so technically, you tried to kiss me," I say then lean back with a wicked smile on my face.

Ridge leans in, so his lips touch my ear when he speaks. "Baby girl, you and I both know that I'm not going to give up until you go out with me."

I glare then poke him in the ribs, causing him to yelp and jump back. Everyone looks our way. "Mr. McCain, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Mr. Tillman. Just bit my tongue," Ridge replies.

"Okay, no more interruptions, or I will throw you out of my class," Mr. Tillman says then goes back to teaching.

I look at Ridge. "You'll give up sooner or later. I don't care how many times I have to embarrass you," I snap.

He winks. "We'll see."
××××××
I sit in Emma's room with my legs thrown across her and Marcus' lap, despite Marcus' protest. Xavier sits on the floor, sketching in his sketch book.

I rub my temples. "He's just so annoying!" I exclaim.

"You're overreacting," Emma says.

"I don't think she is," Xavier says.

Emma glares at him. "You just don't like Ridge."

"What's to like?" I ask.

She taps her chin. "Where should I begin? For one, he's the hottest guy in school-"

"What about me?!" Marcus asks.

Emma ignores him and holds up another finger. "For two, he's charming. Three, he's funny. Fo-"

"You can't stop now," I say, "I'm not going out with him again. That's final."

"C'mon, Braelyn! Do you know how many girls are dying to be you right now?" Emma says.

I roll my eyes and sit up. "I'm going home. You are not helping at all," I say, standing.

"I'm leaving, too. I don't like to be the third wheel," Xavier says, standing up. He tucks his sketch book into his bags and looks at me. "Want me to take you home?"

I nod. "Yes," I say. I look back at Emma. "I'll see you at school tomorrow."

"Okay, bye," she says.

I wave at Marcus and follow Xavier out. "Ridge is annoying, I agree," he says.

I smile. "Finally! Someone agrees with me."

"You don't need a guy like that," he says, unlocking his SUV. He opens the door for me.

"Thank you, and I don't need a guy, period," I say, getting in.

"No, you do. I agree with Emma on that. Just not Ridge," he says then shut the door.

When he gets in on his side, I roll my eyes. "I'm a single pringle and proud."

Xavier smiles. "Whatever you say, Braelyn," he says and buckles up. I do the same.

The ride to my house is quiet, but it's a comfortable silence. When Xavier pulls into my driveway, I smile, unfastening my seatbelt. "Thanks for the ride," I say, looking at Xavier.

He nods. "Of course. Anytime."

I get out and grab my bag. "Bye," I say.

Xavier smiles. "Bye."

I shut the door and walk up the porch steps to my front door. I walk in, shutting it behind me. I feel the effects of the say, so I hurry upstairs and take a shower. I'm in bed before I know it.