34

Prom is here before I know it. I fond myself waking up Saturday morning with a smile on my face. I look at my phone only to find three missed calls from the one and only Emma, and it's only five past eleven o'clock. Sighing, I call her back. "It's eleven o'clock, Braelyn! We have to go get our hair done and all that good stuff!" she yells.

"Geez, Emma, prom is at eight. Give me a break!" I reply.

"Get up, get dressed, and I'll be over in thirty minutes," she says and hangs up.

I groan, but I do as she says because I know I'll never hear the end of it if I don't.
××××××
"Why do we have to start getting ready so early?" I ask as Emma and I get out of the car.

"Eleven fifty-six is not early, Braelyn, and it'll take a while to get our hair and nails done," Emma says, waving her hand.

I roll my eyes. "Not nine hours," I reply.

She glares at me. "Our appointment is at twelve, okay? I'm trying not to be late."

I roll my eyes again, and Emma and I enter the salon. As Emma gives our names, I look around. Plenty of girls from our high school are already here, getting their hair and nails done. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks it's ridiculous to get ready nine hours before prom. The lady leads to two tables where two ladies have laid out plenty of nail polish and all that good stuff. I sigh, wanting to get my hair done first so that I could eat before getting my nails done.

"What size?" the lady asks, eyeing my nails.

"Medium," I reply.

"And what color would you like?" she asks me as she pulls out a kit with plain fake nails.

I look at all of them before looking at Emma for help. She's pickling out her color as well, and she chooses white. Her eyes meet mine. "Silver," she says, pointing to a sparkiling silver to my left.

"Thanks," I say before handing the lady the color. She begins on my nails, and I look over at Emma. "Do you know what time Marcus and Ridge are coming? Ridge never told me."

"Well, Marcus said that he's getting a limo, and then, he'll text me when," she says, wiggling her eyebrows.

"A limo, eh? Didn't know Marcus had class," I tease.

She laughs, "Me either. When he told me, I was shocked. To be honest, I think it was his mom's idea."

I smile. "Yeah, it probably was."

"I have a feeling that prom is going to be something we'll never forget. I mean we're Juniors, and we'll have another prom. But this is going to be the one we'll never forget."

I nod. "Me too, Emma. It's going to be great."

She smiles. "With you there it will be. I'm glad we became friends, Braelyn."

I smile at her. "Don't go soft on me, Emma," I reply, making her laugh, "But I'm glad we became friends, too. I wouldn't want to spend high school with anyone else."

My best friends looks at me with a twinkle in her eyes. "Now, who is going soft."
××××××
Four hours and fifteen minutes later, yes, I timed it, we finally have everything done. I can't stop looking at myself in the rearview mirror on the way home, feeling more beautiful than ever.

Emma sees this and laughs, "Can you stop obsessing over yourself for five minutes?" she asks.

"I spent four hours letting people hound me with makeup, brushes, and all that other stuff. I deserve this. How did it take so long anyway?"

"Because they kept attending to other people, remember?"

I laugh, "Oh, yeah. So, what are we going to do now?"