41

The next week flies by, and I find myself in gym on a Friday. Our final is to run the mile, which is easy. I start off slow, saving my energy for the last two laps. The sun beats down on me, and a lap later a sweat breaks out.

I try to focus on running, but my head soon clouds with thoughts of Ridge. I still haven't looked at the pictures he gave me a week ago, and I'm not sure I want to. I don't want to be reminded of prom.

I still can't believe that our entire relationship was just a dare. I really fell for him, despite all the signs telling me not to. I mean, Ridge is popular and good looking. I am anything but popular, and I definitely am not a super model. Jared was-is-just like him, and he broke my heart.

I clenched my fists at the thought, and I begin to run faster. I ignore the looks I get as I pass; I just keep pushing my legs. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to get Ridge out of my head.

Coach Worly blew her whistle as I finish my last lap, and she hands me a bottle of water. "Good job, Sawyer. Seven minutes is impressive. Go ahead and get changed. Here's a pass to go to have the rest of the period off," she says, handing me a slip.

I smile then head up to the school. I go to the locker room, change, freshen up, and head toward the water fountains. "Well, look who it is," a familiar voice says.

I take a last gulp of water, swallow, and turn. Wren stands there with a wicked smile on her face. I roll my eyes, not wanting to deal with her. "Do what do I owe this pleasure?" I greet flatly.

"I just want to know how it feels to be the school's outcast again," She replies.

I cross my arms. "What is your problem with me?"

Wren shrugs. "You just irritate me," She replies.

"Well, if you excuse me, I have to do homework," I say, pushing past her.

"I think it's funny," she says, making me turn.

"What is?"

Wren grins. "How I'll get Ridge like I got Jared. Unlike you, I'm right in his league. You were nothing but a dare. Don't forget that."

I clenched my jaw, and in one swift swing of my fist, Wren is on the floor, clutching her nose. "You broke my nose!" she screams.

I don't feel any regret.
××××××
"Ms. Sawyer, you are one of my best students. Good grades, great essays, and you stay out of trouble. Well, that is until now. Why would get in trouble with only two weeks left in school?" Principal Graddens asks me.

I look at him. "She has been making my life hard, and I got tired of it," I say honestly. That punch wasn't just for Ridge; it was for everything she did to me, also.

He sighs, "Okay, I'll do this then. Since there's only two weeks left, I won't suspend you or write you up, but you have to promise not to do this again."

I nod. "Yes, sir. I promise."

He nods, dismissing me. I make my way out of his office, and I find Emma waiting for me. "I saw Wren's nose! Her nose was gushing blood. Is she pressing charges?"

I shake my head. "No, shockingly," I say. Everyone watches me as I pass, and I meet Wren's eyes. She quickly looks away.

"What happened exactly?" Emma asks as we make our way to my locker.

I shrug. "She said the wrong thing, and it ticked me off," I reply.

Emma leaned against the row of lockers. "It was about Ridge, wasn't it?"

"Doesn't matter. Let's go to lunch."

We head to the lunch room then outside. Marcus and Xavier clap as I walk up to them, and I roll me eyes. Marcus begins to hail me, waving his arms and body to the ground and back up again. "Braelyn, you're my hero," he says.

"Whatever," I say, taking a bite of my chicken sandwhich.

"So, did you get suspended?" Xavier asks.

Shaking my head, I reply, "No."

Emma gasps. "Why not?!"

"He's said there's no point there's only two weeks of school left."

Marcus throws his hands up. "Braelyn, I think I might actually love you," he jokes.

Emma laughs, "Get in line."

I smile at her, but Xavier just shifts uncomfortably before clearing his throat. "Can I give you a ride home?" He asks.

I think for a moment before shrugging. "Sure. I'll meet you after school."

He smiles, and lunch goes on as usual. Well, besides the stares.
××××××
"Hey," I greet, getting into Xavier's truck.

He smiles. "Hey." Once I'm fastened in and settled, he pulls out. The ride is silent for a while before Xavier decides to speak. "Why did you punch Wren?"

"I was tired of her crap," I say

He nods. "So, it has nothing to do with Ridge?" he asks. I don't answer, and he glances at me. "I was walking toward the bathroom when it happened. I heard what she said. You still love him."

"Xavier, just drop it, please."

He sighs, "Okay, fine. I promised I would stay out of it. Just know I'm always going to be here."

"What's that suppose to mean?" I ask, looking over at him.

He pulls over, puts the truck in park, and turns toward me. "I'm going to be waiting on you. Braelyn, I love you. I know I promised to stop doing this, but I can't. I love you, and there's nothing you can say or do to change that."

When I don't reply, he pulls away from the curb and drives me home without another word. I see an unfamiliar car parked in my driveway, and I hurry inside. "Mom, who's ca-" I cut myself off when I see Oliver and June.

"Hey," Oliver says.

"Hi," I reply.

"Ridge told us what happened," June says, but she says it in a non hostile voice.

I nod. "Yeah, um, do you guys want to go to my room?" I say, and they nod. We all go up to my room and sit down.

"So, how are you?" Oliver asks.

I shake my head, forcing back tears. "I'm not okay, Oliver."

June sighs, "Braelyn, I know I haven't been the nicest to you, but I'm here."

"So, tell us what happened," Oliver says.

I take a deep breath then begin, telling them about prom, the dare, Wren, and everything that has happened. They listen carefully, and when I'm finish, June says, "I can beat him up if you want."

I smile. "Thanks, but I'll have to pass."

Oliver grins, standing up. "I have a better idea. Let's have a sleepover. Get Emma, Marcus, and Xavier over here, and we'll all go out and get junk food. We'll even rent movies. It's all on me."

I laugh, wiping my eyes. "I'll ask my mom."