14 - THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY

FLASH AND DIANA LIKED TO GO TO SCHMACKARY'S EVERY SATURDAY TO GET COOKIES AND TALK

FLASH AND DIANA LIKED TO GO TO SCHMACKARY'S EVERY SATURDAY TO GET COOKIES AND TALK. THEY HAD STARTED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SCHOOL YEAR AND NEITHER LIKED TO MISS IT, AT LEAST WHEN THEY HAD A SAY. They would go out after lunch and walk to the bakery, sharing a pair of earbuds, taking turns choosing the music. Flash liked rock while Diana liked alternative pop. They both, however, could agree on the upbeat, dancing music that Flash liked to listen to when he thought no one was paying attention.

"Is this about sex?" she asked, pointing to the earbud chord.

He snorted. "When are they not?"

She laughed and linked their arms, matching her steps with his. Their relationship had gotten better, though it wasn't perfect. He was trying, but he still slipped, still bothered Peter and Ned and others. Ever since Peter started showing up at her window, the bullying was harder to stomach day after day.

As if reading her mind, he spoke up. "I noticed you and Peter have been getting closer. You wanna tell me something?"

She shook her head. "Nothing to tell. Don't use me as an excuse to bother him, please. I'd rather you didn't bother him at all, though."

He sighed, but didn't address that. Instead, he said, "You like him? Not asking romantically, just in general." He opened the door and they stepped into line, moving forward as someone fell in line behind them.

She nodded vehemently. "We all do. Me, Harry, Gwen. We like Peter."

He pursed his lips and nodded. "Okay."

That was the end of that. They waited in line, just listening to the music. It was until they had just finished ordering when they both felt a hand on their shoulder.

Turning around, they found Danny smiling at them. He had been behind them in line. He stepped out smoothly, not breaking eye contact.

"Fancy seeing you here."

"Do you enjoy being an asshole?" Flash snapped, pulling Diana behind him, despite her being taller.

Danny merely raised an eyebrow, held up his hands, and walked out of the shop.

"What was that all about?" Diana asked, watching the boy through the glass window.

Flash shook his head. "I don't know. But I'm worried."

º º º º º

It didn't happen often, but Flash was right. Danny fought back that Monday.

Flash was off somewhere else and Diana had met with Gwen and Harry who had waited for her outside of her classroom. The three were drawn to the loud commotion and the sound of people screaming.

"Help!"

Diana's blood ran cold. "Peter?"

She raced down the hall, trying to push through the people who were pressing themselves to the side, clearly afraid. She saw Peter being attacked by two larger boys—they weren't from the school—being thrown into lockers, his face bloody.