26 - FAMILIAL TENSION

DIANA RETURNED HOME THAT NIGHT WITH BOTH WARMTH AND DREAD IN HER HEART

DIANA RETURNED HOME THAT NIGHT WITH BOTH WARMTH AND DREAD IN HER HEART. Warmth because she had actually met Nicky's roommate—an attractive blond named Rhett Reiser who constantly reminded him to drink water and go out into the sun every few days—and had discovered a newfound sense of purpose in life to help others. Dread because she was about to go back home to the Thompsons who were most likely going to fight.

She sat in the subway train listening to the same music she had listened to on the way there—she listened to the more uplifting songs as she didn't want to dampen her mood by the thought of Peter—and stared up at the lights, trying to find her meaning and purpose in life in them.

She glanced down when her music was interrupted by a call; it was a surprise in of itself considering the subway doesn't usually get cell service. She raised an eyebrow at the sight of Gwen's contact. She chewed on her bottom lip, unsure of how Gwen was feelings towards the family, only to remember that just because Flash wasn't on good terms with her didn't automatically mean that she wasn't.

"Hello?" she said, answering the call.

"You're back home!" Gwen cheered through the speaker, "Wait, this is Diana, right? I can kind of hear you through your accent, but I can't guarantee anything, this is you, right?"

"Yes, Gwen, it's me. How's everything going?" she said softly, hoping that the girl wouldn't bring up her terminated relationship with Flash.

Thankfully, she didn't. "It's been pretty good, I'm working at the Oscorp Internship. It's so exciting and I'm going to be a TA for Mr. Davis, so I get access to the lab at school when we get back, so this is going to be great!"

Diana couldn't help but smile at how excited her friend was. It seemed as though everyone she was talking to was having a great time. Everyone except for her. She shoved the thought out of her mind in favor of being happy for her friend; it was hard, but she managed.

"That's great," she said, still staying quiet so as not to bother the other passengers, "I haven't been doing much, so I don't really have anything exciting to tell you." She didn't want to talk about her time in London, it seemed as though most people didn't want to talk about it.

There was a pause. "How's Flash?"

Diana sighed and leaned back in her seat, closing her eyes and licking her lips. "He's pretty upset, uh...I mean, his Harrison is back and, um, Peter and I broke up, so."

She expected Gwen to shriek, to shout and demand what had happened, to ask if she needed her to talk some sense into him. Instead she was just quiet. She just whispered, "I'm so sorry, Dina," and that was it.

Diana smiled sadly at the sound of her nickname. The only other nickname she had left, but the one she wouldn't get to hear from the person who made it up. "Yeah."

"Are you okay?"

She shook her head. "It just happened last night, so, no, I'm really not."

"I'm so sorry."