15 - OPENING WOUNDS

THE NEXT FEW WEEKS WERE DIFFICULT, TO SAY THE LEAST

THE NEXT FEW WEEKS WERE DIFFICULT, TO SAY THE LEAST. FLASH WAS STRUGGLING IMMENSELY AND IT WAS TAKING A TOLL ON DIANA AND HER FRIENDS. As she had expected, Flash had gone back to being physical. Not to Peter, he was careful about that—the boxing course of P.E. had shocked him into keeping a distance—but he was back to his old ways. He had gotten so much better that Diana had grown complacent; everyone had. Now it was back.

Diana revealed all her insecurities and worries to the school counselor during her mandatory meetings. After they had breached from her fight and onto other topics, she had quickly moved the conversation to her surrogate brother. How she worried about him, how she wanted him to get better, how much she loved him and how she, at times, wished she didn't because it didn't feel right to love someone who could hurt someone else.

"Are your feelings romantic?" she had been asked once during a session.

She had been quick to deny it, upset, but not surprised; many people believed them to be dating. When they learned she was living with them, their demeanor changed. They remembered who she was and then, suddenly, the conversation was at a standstill, the other person suddenly incapable of talking to her.

They had discussed that as well, the conversation turning to her parents and to the pain that she continued to feel despite everything. They also discussed the interview which the counselor herself had seen as well. It was during these sessions that Diana would cry.

Diana also talked to Nicky. The man had dropped off her supplies one day after the fight and when he asked how she was doing, she had burst into tears. He stayed for a few hours after, listening to her talk. When he left, he told her to text him and to never be reluctant to.

She did text him, but she couldn't help but feel guilty. He listened to people for a living and people paid him to; he listened to her for free.

Over time, Flash started to calm. It took a lot of talking and intervention, but one day, out of the blue, his physical bullying petered out again. By the start of March, he was back to how he had been before the fight. Still a jerk, but not physical.

Soon, things fell into a calm routine, much like how it used to be, only this time it included Diana's counseling.

"Your birthdays are coming up!" Gwen squealed, jumping in front of the two as they walked down the hall.

Diana jumped and latched onto Flash who jumped as well. Despite her size, Gwen was a force to be reckoned with. She had a presence that made her seem taller than she was, towering over others who were much taller than she.

Diana smiled softly. "Yeah, they are."

Diana and Flash were born only a week apart, their mothers having a dual wedding like they had planned since they were young. Diana was born on March 20th, Flash on March 27th.