39 - ROAD TRIP

IT WAS TIME TO LEAVE FOR DECATHLON AND DIANA FELT OUT OF PLACE AMONGST THE YELLOW BLAZER-CLAD TEAM

IT WAS TIME TO LEAVE FOR DECATHLON AND DIANA FELT OUT OF PLACE AMONGST THE YELLOW BLAZER-CLAD TEAM. She had decided to wait with Flash until it was time to leave, not wanting to wait for a still angry Jesse out front until Rosie showed up with their car. She was leaning towards the back talking with Flash, standing next to the girl that had gotten toast from the party—Diana tried to remember her name, but only came up with Mary, which didn't sound right.

"So, yeah, um..." Flash mumbled, trailing off towards the end, having nothing to say.

"Yeah, so like, it was..." she replied, not knowing how to end.

The two hadn't been talking about anything in particular, just making idle conversations starters, waiting for the other to say anything of substance. Ever since the events of that night, the two hadn't been able to have any real conversation, Gwen and Harry knowing better to leave well enough alone.

"Yeah..." the two finished lamely, just looking at each other, their height difference not as apparent with their slumped shoulders.

"Is this how the two of you make conversation?" the girl from the party asked, not looking up from where she was reading a large book atop a large stack of similarly sized books.

"No, we just..." Diana began, "We don't know."

Before the girl could make any form of response, Abraham spoke up, calling out, "Hey, it's Peter!"

"Peter?" Diana and Liz chorused, the former moving forward to try and get a better look at the boy.

"Yeah, I was hoping, maybe, I could rejoin the team," he said, glancing around, breathless. Diana's hands instinctively went up to her earrings which she hadn't activated in the past couple of days. What had she missed?

"No, no way," Flash said, pushing Diana towards the back of the bus, trying to keep her out of Peter's line of sight, "You can't just quit on us, stroll up, and be welcomed back by everyone."

There was something about the way he said that which let Diana know he was talking about more than just Peter quitting decathlon. Her stomach clenched tightly and she tried to look away, biting her lip.

"Hey, welcome back, Peter!" Mr. Harrington greeted, stepping out from the inside of the bus, "Flash, you're back to first alternate."

"What?" Flash said, Diana chorusing in the background; how was that fair, Peter hadn't been to any of the recent meetings, he had left them floundering.

"He's taking your place," Abraham joked, the others in the team giggling. The girl from the party stepped forward to ask about leaving, wanting to get in some light protesting at the embassy, something that reminded Diana of Jesse.

As everyone filed into the bus at Mr. Harrington's cue, Flash threw Peter his blazer, moving towards Diana who had moved out from her hiding place. Flash glanced over his shoulder, glowering at Peter who was looking at the two of them with wide eyes as he waited to climb in.