Nightmares

It was just another day in the ER when the EMTs called in. They were 5 minutes out with a Police Officer with a gunshot to the chest. Non-responsive and low oxygen saturation levels. That was very bad. He probably wasn't going to make it, but that wouldn't stop you from trying. The EMT rolled in the stretcher. Oh god. No no no no no. "Jamie! Oh god what the hell happened to him? Baby please!" You wheel him into the trauma bay and quickly attached him to the monitors. "GET ME THE CAUTERIZER AND THE SUTURES! Jamie baby stay with me. Oh god." The heart rate on the monitor went irregular and then flat.

I woke up in a cold sweat. These nightmares we're getting worse everyday. I rolled over to check the time. 6 am, great. "Jamie, are you awake?" He rolled over to face me. "Yeah Amari, I'm awake. Another nightmare?" I just nodded and he pulled me into a hug. "Baby, I'm not gonna get hurt. I promise." I let out a small giggle. "I better not see you in my ER today Reagan." He laughed. "I'll have to go to a different one then." I pushed his shoulder. "Not funny kid. Now go out there and save the world." He laughed again and I felt the vibrations in his chest. "And you go out there and save lives." I kissed him and giggled. "Shame I have the graveyard shift tonight. Say hi to Danny for me." He nodded and I got both of us out of bed to shower. "C'mon Reagan, I thought you'd be excited to take a shower together." He laughed. "Who said I wasn't?"

After a very long shower, I got dressed for my first shift at the ER. I was working 10:00 am-1:00 pm and 12 am- 3 am. At least with the graveyard shift I wouldn't have nightmares. Unfortunately it also meant most of the patients would be drunken stumbling married men hitting on me. My first shift went by slowly, but luckily I was working with Linda so it wouldn't be too boring. I told her about how my sister wouldn't stop nagging me about "that cop boyfriend" of mine. She thinks it's an unhealthy relationship because apparently all cops are violent. She really needs to stop acting like I'm her daughter. The only reason she thinks cops are violent is because our dad was a cop and he killed our mom. Meanwhile in the 4 years I've been dating Jamie he hasn't so much as raised his voice. Not even during our fights, which weren't often. My first shift was fairly easy, not many patients came in with major injuries. At the end of the shift I said goodbye to Linda and was making my way to the café for coffee and a bagel when one of the student nurses stopped me. "Hey Amari, how are you?" I smiled at him. "Hi Ryan, I'm good. How are you?"
"I'm great. Where are you headed?"
"Well I'm on my way to the café for lunch."
"Do you mind if I join you?" I was about to answer when Danny walked up to me. "Hey kiddo, what are ya up to?" I smiled at him. "Just talking to one of our student nurses." He grinned when I gave him the "please save me from this situation" look. "Anything criminal I need to investigate?" I laughed and he put his hand on my shoulder. "No, Detective Reagan, not anything I have to do with anyways." Ryan had a shocked look on his face. "Reagan? As in one of the commissioners kids?" I laughed and nodded. "Yup. Ryan, this is Detective Danny Reagan, my boyfriend's brother." I was trying my hardest not to laugh at the look on his face. "I didn't know you had a boyfriend. Oh I just remembered that my professor asked me to come by her classroom. See ya." Once he was gone, me and Danny bursted out laughing. "Hey thanks Danny, he's been trying to flirt with me for like a week now." He caught his breath and walked me to the café. "No problem Amari. Just tell me if I need to beat his ass for you ok?" I shook my head. "Not necessary Detective, but thanks for the offer. I'm gonna go get lunch now, catch ya later." He waved goodbye and went to check out a guy who looked like he was dealing.

On my second shift, there was this drunk guy that wouldn't leave me alone. "C'mon hun, lemme show you a good time. I'd be the best you've ever had." I laughed. "Thanks for the offer sir, but I'm not about to fuck someone who's blackout drunk, wearing a wedding ring, with pictures of kids in his wallet. Especially after he keeps dropping the gauze that he's supposed to be holding on the gash on his head just so he can watch me bend over." He grunted something about ungrateful whores and sat down and the EMTs called in. "Officer shot in the shoulder off duty, responsive and breathing normally but bleeding badly. Female, Late 20's to early 30's. She keeps asking for Dr. Amari Wells." I prepped the trauma bay. "ALRIGHT GUYS, I NEED BLOOD READY FOR TRANSFUSION IMMEDIATELY. GET ME EVERYTHING TO TREAT THIS." Just then they wheeled Jamie's partner Eddie in. I rushed her into the trauma bay and got to work on her shoulder. "Eddie hun what happened?" She looked over to me and let out a small dry chuckle. "My ex, Nick Williams, he came to my house and saw me with my boyfriend. He got so angry that he grabbed my gun from my purse and shot me with it. After he realized what he did he dropped it and ran." I smiled and nodded. "Alright, I need you to tell me your pain level." She muttered out a 10 before passing out. "Eddie I need you to stay with me! Start the transfusion guys! Eddie I need you to stay awake." She was drifting to and from consciousness. Once the transfusion started, she began to wake up. Once I fixed up her shoulder, I sent her to the Intensive Care Unit and washed my hands.

I was tending to one of the patients when Jamie walked in. I squealed and ran over to him. "Jamie, what are you doing here? It's like 2 am!" He gave me a quick kiss. "Eddie got shot and I came to see if she was okay." He looked down at the blood on my shirt. "Yeah she's fine. I actually just send her down to the ICU. She says her ex named Nick Williams shot her with her own gun. I'll walk you down to her room." He nodded and followed me down to Eddies room. I knocked on the door. "Hey Eddie, Jamies here to see how you're doing." She said something like "Send him in." But it was slurred because of the pain meds she was on. I walked back to tend to the patients when on of the nurses stopped me. "Don't you ever worry that he's cheating on you with her? They seem really close." I laughed. "No, they're partners. Plus, Jamie is faithful. He's always home on time or early. Also, I've told him the story about that kid in middle school who wouldn't stop pulling my pony tail, so I broke his arm." She shrugged and moved on to take care of a patient. Jamie was the best boyfriend I could ask for. He would never cheat.. would he?