My Baby

"Jamie." She muttered over and over again. Either that or "My baby." She was worried about me and our child, even unconsciously. The doctor said she was in a stable condition, but due to the blood loss she was unconscious.  Our baby was okay too. According to Danny, she tried her best to stay calm, said stress was bad for the baby. I hope she pulls through. I don't know what I'll do if she doesn't.

"Jamie!" I sat up in shock and felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. "Hey, Amari. It's okay baby I'm here."
"What about my baby? Is she okay?" He nodded and gently layed me back down. "Yes sweetie. Our baby is absolutely fine. Guess what?" His green eyes stared into mine. "Our baby is a fighter. Just like his mom." I groaned. "I'm still saying it's a girl but whatever. I'll prove you wrong at 18 weeks." I stuck my tongue out at him. "Now let's get out of here. I hate being a patient at the hospital I work at."

I was at another Sunday dinner because I was off work until I was completely healed. "So guys, I had an idea for when we find out the baby's gender." Erin looked up. "Tell." I laughed. "Ok ok. So I was online and I saw this idea where you take 20 black balloons and ask the ultrasound tech to fill it with pink or blue paint based on the gender of the baby. The one by one each member of the family pops a balloon until someone pops the one with the paint. But since we're Reagan's, maybe we could go to the gun range and use the balloons as targets." Danny laughed. "Sounds badass. I like it." Everyone agreed and I shot him a dirty look. "There are kids at the table. Don't repeat that guys." Jack and Sean nodded and Linda laughed. "Amari you're motherly instincts are already kicking in and you're barely a month along." I laughed and took a sip of my water. "So, does someone wanna talk about the hole in her shoulder?" I choked on my water. "Pops!" He laughed. "What? I'm curious as to what happened."
"Well, I'm not allowed to tell someone, so I'll tell you. I mean Jamie, Erin, and Danny already know about it." Linda shooed the kids out of the room and I told the story. "A 15 year old girl was in my ER with broken and bruised ribs. I asked Jamie to take her statement and the images of her external injuries. She said her ex boyfriend, Diego, beat her with a baseball bat. We both had to testify in court and as Jamie was being sworn in when Diego basically said in Spanish 'Hello Officer, how's your pregnant fiance? It would be a shame if something happened to her while you were at work.' so I told him off in Spanish and said that I suggest he doesn't make threats against me or him since we both come from families of police officers and prosecutors." Jamie interrupted me. "Wait, you come from a family of police officers?" I nodded. "My sister is an attorney and dad was a cop with a bad temper. Now he's doing time for manslaughter. He got drunk and into a bad fight with my mom. I was 8 and I watched him beat her with a baseball bat over the head. I didn't do anything because I thought if I did then it would be me again. I just kept hearing the way her skull cracked and I was frozen. I..i-" I broke down and put my head on Jamies lap. He stroked my hair. "Hey guys, I think we're gonna get going, let Amari rest y'now?" Everyone nodded and Jamie picked me up and carried me bridal style to the car.

"Jamie, I'm sorry. I ruined your family dinner with that. I just-" Jamie pulled me in for a hug. "Listen baby, you didn't ruin anything. It's not your fault." He carried me out of the car and layed me on our bed. "I have a question though." I nodded. "Shoot."
"Was that abuse just physical or-" I shook my head and started crying. "No no no no no. I don't wanna remember it." He put his arm on my shoulder and I flinched. "Please daddy! I'm sorry. I won't do it again." Jamie disappeared and all I saw was my dad. Then I came back to reality, Jamie holding me and rocking me back and forth. "Hey baby it's okay. He's gone now, he can't hurt you anymore. He's in prison and he's never coming back." I nodded and slowly fell asleep to rocking.