Suspension

"Officer Reagan!" The captain stormed in. "You disobeyed a direct order from a superior. Do you know what that means?" I stood up. "That means he could have just saved that little boy's life. Like I explained to Danny, with the type of brain injury he had, it was a surprise he even remembered Jamie's name. That means he trusted him, that he calmed him down. Panic is one of the worst things with those injuries. It could make it worse. Most people with that severe a case of craniocerebral trauma are irritable, angry even. They will randomly burst out laughing or crying. The fact that he didn't meant that he trusted someone in that room, and I doubt it was me." The captain gave me an incredulous look, like he couldn't believe I had spoken up to him. "And you are?"
"I'm the doctor that treated Adam. And Jamie's fiance." He nodded.
"Amari Wells. Wish we had met on better terms. You do understand why I can't just take your word for it." I glared at him. "Oh, because I'm his fiance? It would be pretty stupid for me to claim something like that if it wasn't true, since you could just ask any doctor and have it disproven. But this is true. Ask any neurologist, or neurosurgeon. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go check on my patient." I threw my gloves on the floor and stormed away. I was wiping tears away when I heard Jamie say "Thanks captain. That was definitely what you should've said, given her state." And felt a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, baby girl, I'm sorry he said that. He's new." I laughed through my tears. "It's fine. Just these damn hormones. I'm gonna go check up on Adam." He nodded and kissed me. "I love you."
"I love you too Reagan. Even though you're a pain in the ass."

"1 week suspension for saving a kid's life? Seriously? What the hell is wrong with your captain."
"I don't know baby but it sure as hell beats losing my shield. Anyways, it doesn't matter. I get to spend a full week with you, since you just started your maternity leave." I grinned and kissed him. "I guess. Do you want to talk about names since we have some free time?" He nodded and kissed my cheek.

"Amari, you should join me for drinks so we can catch up. You are my sister." I rolled my eyes. My sister called me 3 times in the last hour trying to get me to go out for drinks, the only problem is she doesn't know I'm pregnant. I stopped talking to her when she told me if I kept dating Jamie I would end up like our mom. "Devyn, I don't know why I'm talking to you. You were a bitch and you don't deserve to know what's going on in my life." She groaned through the phone. "Amari, that was 5 months ago!"
"Yeah, and you obviously don't feel bad that you said it. Anyways I can't."
"Why the hell not?"
"Because if you had been in my life for the last 6 months, you'd know that I was pregnant and engaged. Now leave me alone Devyn." I hung up the phone and Jamie put his hand on my shoulder. "You're sister?" I nodded. "I don't wanna talk about her right now. I think I have a name I like. How about Kaia?" He looked at me and smiled. "I love it. What about a middle name?"
"You choose it."
"Kaia Margaret Reagan." I looked at him and smiled widely. "After your mom?" He nodded and I hugged him and attacked him with kisses. "I love it. Kaia Margaret Reagan."