••• FOURTY-FOUR •••

This was never what I expected of life even a year ago. When I married Nixon, I was innocent still, still kind, and hopeful even in dark times. When I fell pregnant, that is when I began to notice his change even more rapidly, how he took care of me more than before, showing love and admiration, protecting me, and making sure no one could ever touch me. Reading his last words ever written in his journal of demons, he ended the last chapter of his journal with love, care for his wife and child, and acceptance of the life he had lived and how it compared nothing to the life he had spent with me by his side. Leala begins to stir in my arms, waking up from her nap as I rock her back and forth in the rocking chair, my eyelids growing heavy as my mind races back and forth with the plan Nixon had set forth. Elijah is well informed of it and probably already has started making arrangements to set it in motion as I sit here like a sitting duck, unaware of what is happened in the walls Elijah fills his presence with. Even if Elijah sets the plan in motion and gets these witches to work with us, Elijah will still ask for a small army, an army as big as the warriors at my disposal from Crimson Lock. Everyone in this pack believes I will take a position and stand up for this pack, to make changes, but they will not see it coming when I inform my pack of the changes which may occur, how I will call on my warriors to take a stand and do something they may be completely opposed to.

As the doorbell rings, I pick myself up, headed down the stairs as Leala begins to cry, her soft cries filling the air as I ask myself what my daughter would think of what I am to do. Would she feel proud of her mother? What would kids say about her in school, not only if I go through with Elijah's plan, but about her father too? Will children at school recognize her last name and comment about her father, about the crime he committed without knowing the entire story? Opening the door, Peggy stands in the doorway. "Sorry I am a few minutes late, I forgot my purse when I stepped out the front door."

"No, you're good, she just woke up anyway," I reply, handing my daughter over to the sitter as she smiles at my daughter with a wide grin, greeting Leala with soft tickles as a toothless smile appears on my daughter's face. "I will probably be back in a few hours, I have a meeting with Delta Asher." Delta, the leader of the warriors of this pack. "So sorry about this being last minute."

Peggy follows me into the house as I grab my jacket, pulling it on as I grab my purse and slip my feet into my flats. "I hate to bring this up, Alpha Maxwell, but I will be leaving soon for college, starting in the summer semester." Sighing, I pinch the bridge of my nose, already stressed with who will look after my daughter when I am busy. "I do know someone, she is very good with children. I can give her your number if you would like?"

"I would really appreciate it."

Headed out the door, I thank Peggy once more for coming over. The moment my car rolls up to the private drive of the pack house and Delta Asher is already waiting for me outside, hands clasped behind his back as he stares at my car as I park it, hopping out as he walks forward to greet me. "Alpha Maxwell, been a few days."

"Glad to see you are eager to get this meeting underway," I reply, shaking the Delta's hand as I can feel the prying eyes of pack members. They all know a separate meeting with the Delta means plans are underway, plans which may mean blood. Rumors will soon spread, but I know my pack respects me, they know I am an Alpha who has proved herself. "My office should be set up, I called in ahead of time."

Heading into the pack house, we pass through the pack members who smile at me, a small wave from my hand only makes their smiles widen as I can feel the pride in the room. With the office door closing behind us, Delta Asher takes a seat across from my desk, his gray eyes following me as I take a seat as well, pulling out from my purse the small copy from Nixon's journal, the pages with the plans he detailed. "I am sure you have been caught up on Elijah and what he wishes to do."