Ch. 1 - The job

"To be or not to be? It's that simple. You've heard of the dear Hamlet, of course, haven't you?" His eyes travel over my body from bottom to top, making me get feelings that were a mixture of excitement and nervousness. His form was mysterious and dangerous at the same time, sending weird sensations through my body. He circled around me, somewhat like a predator around its prey yet I didn't feel endangered. If anything, I felt like the world had stopped and the time had been paused. "So? What will it be?" I hear him on the right side of my head, dangerously close to my ear. I could hear the grin in his voice by the way he talked to me. He was ready to take over my mind and spirit...

We all fall for things as simple as good looks or intelligence, good taste of humor or sexy smile. This man has got all of these things and he is absolutely stunning. Knowing that in this world, many people walk the earth, none of them looks at me this way. The way his grin reveals his teeth or when his eyes darken in the shadows. He makes me want to touch him. The way he talks and says my name is so attractive and hot for some reason that I begin to question why I'm still holding back.

"Take the job, Rosie."

~~~

It's weird all this. How I got here into this position.
One day I was looking for a job in the newspaper and I found an interesting article. It wasn't watering or cleaning that caught my eye. Nor babysitting. There stood an article for one pretty interesting job and it immediately got a hundred percent of my attention. Being a young adult in this world is pretty hard if you can't find a job and this one seemed pretty amazing.

Magician's assistant. I've always been fascinated by magic tricks and all kinds of mysterious things so I knew I wanted this job.
The two words explained it all pretty much. There were no details and it all seemed too easy so I didn't wait long before I contacted the person behind this...

"Hello?"

A quite deep voice, that belonged to a man, answered after a few beeps.

"Hi, I am calling about the article in the newspaper. It says you are looking for an assistant."

There was a short silence before the person spoke again.

"Ah, yes... I will explain to you all the details in person. How about a coffee? It's on me."
"Uhm... Okay, sure. I-..."
"Meet me at Julie's in 15 minutes."

After that, he hung up.
I put down my phone and leaned back against the couch with a silent sigh. I was a bit confused by the man's behavior because usually, people discuss things like details about the job over the phone. He seemed like he was in a hurry so I didn't really bother asking him more questions. In any case, Julie's was literally five minutes away from my apartment so I will be there just in time. I grabbed my wallet, phone and keys in my bag that said 'Hug dealer' and locked the door behind me as I left.

Julie's is a nice small diner, serving all kinds of drinks. Besides that, they offer all kinds of sandwiches, pancakes, and donuts. In fact, it is my favorite diner because of the hospitality and kindness the workers show to their customers. But it's not only the atmosphere. I really like the style of the whole restaurant. Everything is in blue and black, reminding me of the cover for The Fault in Our Stars. The ceiling is special cause there are plants hanging from it and that is the only source of some other color besides blue and black.

I got to the diner about five minutes earlier which was fine by me. As my mother would always say; Better be 20 minutes early than 5 minutes late. The place was usually a bit more crowded than today. There were about seven people altogether.
As I entered, I glanced around the diner to see if maybe he had arrived before me but I realized I wouldn't be able to recognize him anyway. The only way I could tell it's him is if I find the man sitting alone. Maybe with a hat. At least that's what I imagine him to look like.