Ch. 4 - Training

They say that life can send you signs to tell you if you're doing something wrong or you are on the right path perhaps. The universe is full of mysteries and it has its ways around us, making us submit to its forces without us even knowing it. When you find yourself in some trouble, you try to figure it out. But how to know that the signs you're getting from some bigger forces are in fact signs that are telling you to stop doing what you are doing? Some people might take them as walls they have to break in order to get to their goals in life. In the end, it's just the way we look at life.

I came across a wall with this new job I got only one day ago.

...

"What do you mean... I am the object? That you use? I mean, I understand what it means but... How dangerous are those tricks actually?" I ask full of... well fear. The fact that he admitted his tricks are extreme made me feel anxious and... very uneasy. "Can I get hurt for real?"

"Rosie, I am not making you my experimental game. I have done these tricks before. Many times. You won't get hurt because I won't let anything bad happen to you, do you understand me, Rosie?" His voice was firm and strong, making me listen close and carefully. The way he said all that sent trust into my brain and I could tell he knew what he was getting into with inexperienced assistance. "Do you understand me, Rosie?" He says louder this time and snaps me out of my thoughts, making me take a small step back. I quickly nod, shaking a bit from the sudden change in his voice. Why was he so... upset suddenly?

My face got that expression of slight fear and shock. I was shocked by the tone in his voice...The look in his eyes softened and he sighed when he saw my expression.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to... scare you." He says and turns away then walks towards some stairs that lead somewhere to another floor. "Follow me. Stay close." I gulp and sigh in relief, glad that I at least got an apology. I was scared that there would be more outbursts like this one. Maybe even worse since I am just a beginner. What if he will keep losing his temper with me? I don't think I am ready to face it all on my own... "Rosie, what did I tell you about smiling?" He asks softly, so I barely heard him. It took me a few seconds for my brain to catch the words that flew out of his mouth.

"You... you told me to always smile, sir," I say, getting back to that more professional side of this whole thing.

"And why aren't you smiling, love?" He asks, not even turning to face me. He keeps walking with his back turned to me as I follow him up the stairs.

"I-I'm sorry, sir. You just gave me a little shock, that's all..." I say softly and look down in unease. How could I possibly be smiling when he almost started yelling at me for asking a question about my own safety?

With that, we remained in silence. I couldn't understand him at all. One moment he is all happy and hyped and... I don't even know. The next second something makes him snap and he completely changes his attitude and the whole facial expression.

I sit on a big sofa in a room that's supposed to be the room for training and performing tricks. It was quite big and a bit darkened but many lights were still off so I guess it would be less dark with them all on. The house is old though, so God knows if they still work. I could hear the rain hitting the roof cause the room we were in was on the second floor so silent sounds of raindrops could reach my ears.

"Today you won't be doing any tricks. For now, I want you to meet with the whole... environment and the house. We will go through some rules and tips of how to act on the stage so you get the idea of what it actually means to work as a magician's assistance." William explains, pouring tea in a cup for me. He hands it to me and I thank him silently, careful not to spill the content of the cup. The cup and the little plate seemed very expensive and old. Just like the whole house. "Come on, stand up." He says and I put the cup on a little table in front of me. I was excited about the real work finally. "You see, the way you stand and walk can make the whole show magnificent. It can also ruin my show. So you must learn how to walk. Properly."

"Am I not walking properly or?" I ask confused. No one has ever told me that I walked wrong or something.

"No, you walk fine but that's not what I want on the stage." The quiet William has gone somewhere and now I had someone totally new in the room with me. His whole aura changed. He is more like Tony Stark now than himself. He was more dynamic and he moved faster than usual.

"Then how do you want me to walk?" I ask and raise a brow, waiting for him to explain how I should walk on his stage. I mean it couldn't be too hard.

"Just watch and try to remember everything."

...

After about three hours of going through some basic things and tips, I finally got to drink my tea I was given a while ago. It was cold now though. I didn't complain cause I didn't want to sound ungrateful or anything, I mean, it's very nice of him that he actually made tea. To tell the truth I felt tired more than you'd expect. We managed to go through all kinds of tricks that work on the stage. The tricks that help the assistant look stunning and marvelous in any situation.

"Remember, whatever happens, you keep smiling. The audience will never notice a mistake when you give them a grin..."

The whole training went really well so far. William didn't smile much though. Not like he would usually smile and tease me with his grin... It bothered me a bit to be honest but what could I do? I just decided to follow, listen and stick to everything he says.

After a lot of walking and showing me around, William finally sat down on the opposite side of me and leaned back into the armchair. He didn't say anything, just sat there in silence with his eyes closed. I didn't dare to disturb his peace.

"Any questions?" He asks and finally looks at me with that sexy smile that would always turn my mood back to excited. I smile at him and put the empty cup down. 

"No, sir. Everything is perfectly clear. But I just wanted to know... about the clothes. What am I supposed to wear? Obviously something catchy and shiny, covered in glitter or something. But where do I get such clothes?" I felt kinda stupid asking him that. He has explained everything but that and I was really curious about the whole dress code. 

"You don't have to buy anything. I have all kinds of dresses and stuff you'd need for the stage." He says and smirks. It quickly gets my full attention and my guard is immediately up. "Trust me... This job is more than you thought it would be and many before you have left because they weren't capable of facing their... weaknesses. I would be an idiot if I required you to spend your own money in such a situation." I listen to his every word with my full interest. The things he was saying were making me feel more and more skeptic. I didn't feel like this was a job that I really wanted. Working with a magician is one thing but this... This is slowly getting out of hand. I watch William and I guess my expression gave out how I was feeling at that moment. "Don't be scared, Rosie. Why are you so nervous?" He smiles at me and I let out a sigh, realizing I've been holding air inside my lungs for some time now. 

"Because... What if I can't keep up with the training? I have zero experience in this job and now you are telling me that those women before me had left because they couldn't take it? I am sorry, but that does scare me." I sigh and look down to my hands that were pressed together between my thighs. They were getting sweaty and the fabric of my jeans started to feel kinda uncomfortable against my skin. 

"I know, but I chose you for a reason. You are not the only one who came to me, wanting the job. I chose you over fifty other women..."