Ch. 6 - The Joker contract

The following morning was more than fine. I didn't have any nightmares. In fact, I didn't have any dreams.

I slept quite well and I woke up feeling really good. I was happy because I won't be having classes for another week due to some repairs they're having or that's at least what it said on the online page of my college. That means I can have a lot of time for myself and I can spend more time thinking about my upcoming birthday. I had in mind inviting a few of my closest friends on a sleepover or something but my attention moved to Michael. I haven't heard from him in a while which was weird. He would text me like... at least three times a day. After I told him I won't make it that night, he hasn't called. Of course, it's my fault too. I could have at least sent him a message or something. But to be honest I completely forgot about him. My mind was pretty occupied with William and this new job and everything that has been going on related to William.

I listen to the beeping coming from the phone, waiting for Michael to pick up. I was going to apologize and ask him out to have dinner with me. Michael is a really nice guy and he is the cutest. He is protective and very fun which makes him just so... wanted. I've seen girls at the clubs just throwing themselves at him. 

Unfortunately, he didn't pick up so I left a voicemail, saying I was sorry and that I was hoping he'd call back. Michael is also very understanding so I wasn't scared of him making a fuss out of this. 

Just as I put my phone down, it started ringing. I smile, thinking it's Michael but the ID on the screen said William's name. I was confused a bit because I wasn't expecting a call from him. Not at 9 AM. 

"Hello?" 
"I expect you at work in an hour." 
"Uh yes, sir. But I-"

With that, he just hung up. 

...

I sigh, waiting in front of William's door. I felt nervous because I didn't like how William sounded over the phone. He seemed upset about something and I really wasn't looking forward to this. 

I ring again cause a few minutes passed when no one opened but after that, the door was immediately opened by William. My heart stops because I didn't expect him to just swing the door open. His eyes land on me for a few seconds then he turns around and walks away, inviting me in. He seemed stressed out and upset just like I assumed over the phone. I decide it's better to just stick around and go through what he is going through because I can't let his mood affect me and scare me...

"William, what's wrong?" I ask, closing the door and following him to the room we were in the last time. This time he didn't take my coat and it started to worry me. Something must have happened. 

I enter the room right after him and he immediately goes to a small table by the door that had a lot of different kinds of drinks then pours himself something unfamiliar to me. I take my coat off and place it on a couch along with my purse. 

"William, talk to me." Gathering some little courage I had, I speak up, putting some more power in my tone. "Why so serious?" I smile when I hear him chuckle, knowing I broke into this shell of his. He turns around with the drink in his hand and a grin on his face. "Look I even put on the necklace you gave me. Please don't be like that." 

"It suits you." He says and drinks the liquid from the glass and puts it on the table behind him. "Are you a big fan of Joker or you just like messing with me?" He smirks and steps towards me with some new feeling written in his eyes. I stare into them as he talks and I finally lose myself in the depth of the dark grey orbs. 

"Just trying to cheer you up. You always tell me to smile... Therefore you should smile even more than me." I explain and let him stand close to me. The butterflies in my stomach kept producing that weird feeling as he stares into my eyes as we were about two feet away from each other.

"Good," William smirks and reaches his hand out suddenly but slowly. He gently removes the hair from my neck and puts it behind my back so the necklace was fully visible. "Today I want to show you what I got for you and the shows. We are going to start with some basics today. Lucky for you, you'll have a lot of time to get to perfection since the first show is two months away." My eyes widen and my jaw drops a bit. 

"Two months? That is so... That's a long time." I chuckle and bite my lips softly, knowing I'll have to work really hard. 

"Yes, but what you'll be doing is quite tricky. As I said, women before you have left because they were feeling... scared. If you see what I mean." To be honest I had no idea what he meant. What could be so scary in this job? It's all just tricks. 

"Like... highs or snakes maybe?" I ask, smiling nervously. I didn't know what to expect. I wasn't scared of snakes or anything like that but still, I wouldn't want to work on big highs. Just like in the dream...

"Kinda," William says and smirks at me then pushes me backward. I gasp as I fall over something but it didn't make sense to me because I can bet there was nothing on the floor when I walked into the room a few minutes ago. I fall onto something soft and let out a scream of surprise and pure shock. 

"What the..!" I pant, gasping for air. I look underneath me and see I am in a bean chair. It was a big soft white bean chair. "Idiot!" I close my eyes and throw my head back to calm down and keep myself together. I hear William laugh at me as I slowly become more and more pissed but not for real. It was just a temporary rage caused by the shock. "How the hell did this get here? And why did you do that?" I ask, feeling... humiliated as he laughed at me. 

"You are just too easy to confuse, dear Rosie." He stops laughing but the grin stays. "Now, just stay there and don't move. Time for the training to start." I feel my heart still beating wildly as I watch him go to one closet on the opposite side of the room. I couldn't really tell what it was that he just took from the closet but I could hear sounds of metal hitting against more metal. "I needed you to go through that little shock so your adrenaline kicks in. Otherwise, you'd be too scared now." William turns to me with knives in his hands. There were about ten of them and each sent more and more fear into my bones. 

"Are you joking..? You are going to kill me." I say, trying to keep calm but my heart just started breaking through my rib cage again. "Is this even a part of my job as assistance? I wasn't informed of this." 

"That's because you were naive and you didn't even ask to read the contract before signing it." William says, keeping the amused expression on his face.

"You never gave me the contract to sign." I was about to get up from the chair, hoping I'd get out of this whole thing but he just pushed me back on the chair. 

He clears his throat and pulls out a card, showing it to me. It was the Joker card from a few days ago when I signed it. When I accepted the job officially. 

"That's not a contract. That's just a card with my signature on it." I say, raising my brow. I was getting nervous when I saw him folding the card. He remained quiet the whole time and that's what worried me the most. He folded it twice and then once more. Without even putting it away he started unfolding it and what I saw shocked me. It wasn't a small card anymore, but it rather became a big white paper with black letters on it. As he unfolded it, he showed it to me and it was a real contract. The terms and everything needed was on it, along with... my signature at the bottom. 

A/N: Please leave a vote or a comment! Don't be a ghost reader and tell me what you think ;)