Ch. 2 - His grin

"He is... weird. But he is very attractive and mysterious." I say to my friend Sally after taking a sip of my juice. We are sitting in the park where I'm supposed to meet William tonight. We decided to go for a walk and so we ended up here. She had to walk her German shepherd so this was a good place for him to lose energy and for us to have a chat.

"How weird?" Sally asks and throws a tennis ball for her dog to run after it. The colors of fall were simply gorgeous to me, making the fall my favorite season. But only those days when it's sunny and leaves are dancing around in their beautiful colors. My attention would often get to one small puppy far from us that was hiding in a pile of grass and leaves while its owner looking for it.

"I mean... he bought me coffee, and I didn't even get to tell him what I wanted to order. Without even thinking twice, he got me the right drink. But that's not what confuses me though. Uhh, he didn't want to tell me all the things I need to know for the job, you know. Like, payment or some real rules and tips. He just told me that if I want to work for him, I must keep quiet about his job." I explain and sigh softly as she laughs, turning to face me while her dog is away.

"Guy is a magician. Of course, you can't tell people how he does the tricks... What's weird about that?" She asks and sits down on the grass. "Don't worry. You'll settle everything tonight and if you like the job, you'll take it. It can't be that hard to be an assistant to a magician, right?" She smiles and motions for me to sit next to her so I do so.

"I know, but I am nervous. He is not like normal people you talk to. He was looking at me really weird. Almost as if he wanted to eat me." I chuckle and Sally laughs with me. Sally is that kind of person who can cheer you up at the darkest of times and make you feel better about yourself no matter what you think. We met in the last year of high school and we now go to the same college. Also used to be roommates but she moved in with her boyfriend a few months ago so now I have the whole place to myself.

"Well in any case, if he is a cannibal, you'll figure that out before it's too late." She calls for her dog to get back, seeing he got playful with another big dog.

"Yeah." I smile and stand up. "I guess you're right. What could go wrong... But anyhow, I must get going now. I have some stuff to do and I gotta return books to the library. I will see you... tomorrow or something." We both chuckle and I give her a hug before I leave.

...

When you pay for your own place and you are not really good with saving money, you tend to get a job for any price really. You don't care what the job is, you need the money so you work. And if you don't work, you don't get money and you can't pay for the place and college. Now that I live alone, I must pay for the whole place by myself. I am not that screwed yet so I don't need my parents' money but I don't even want to get in that position because in that case, my parents will tell me to move in with them. And that is out of the question.

So this job as a magician's assistant really got to me because I have never seen an article like this one before. Usually, people look for waitresses, maids or something... This was unique and probably my only chance to get a proper job as a college student. Also, it seems really fun and not that big of a deal.

Even though my first impression has already been left in the local diner, I still have a chance to make myself look more than just a college student so I decided to go shopping. I want something cute to wear tonight and if I do take the job, I will need a lot of cute dresses and other clothes of that sort so i kind of want William to see that... I don't know, I like cute and crazy clothes so maybe that helps.

...

After sending Michael a voicemail, I got dressed and put a bit of makeup on. I didn't want to overdo it.