Ch. 17 - Sweets

I feel my eyes moving underneath the lids as I slowly wake up on a soft surface. Everything is blank for a minute while I'm trying to remember where I am and what day it is. Whenever I wake up, I think about my dreams. I try remembering if I had any and I usually just come to a conclusion that I didn't but there is always something that I see during the day and this small fracture of a moment reminds me of something I dreamt of. 

But I remembered how I heard William playing the piano last night. It was something beautiful and I enjoyed seeing him like that. Artistic and not crazy. But that doesn't change my opinion and the fact that I still want to run away from this place. This family is not... something I want to be a part of and I don't want to see anything that's going to cost me something more than this already. 

I feel some pressure around my abdomen and I look down only to see an arm wrapped around me. It wasn't a threatening grip, just more of a hug. William was peacefully sleeping, facing my back with his other hand under his pillow. It was gentle and caring, it felt so nice. In this beautiful house and on this beautiful sunny morning, it felt nice. But this is not my life and I am not having this. 

I take his hand and remove it from my body and gently lay it down on the bed not to wake him up. Seeing William the first thing in the morning was enough to make me scared and angry at the same time. He is off guard now and I could easily do something to... I couldn't kill him. 

Realizing this, I know I won't able to do much actually. Not like this. He is asleep and I can't find the anger and fury within me to attack him like this. Afterward, where would I go? There are people here and they would catch me sneaking out without William. Getting out of here on my own. Impossible. 

"Where are you off to..." His voice stops me in my tracks and I turn around, looking at the ground. I made sure not to make any sounds so how did I wake him up? His morning voice was still rough and sounded threatening. "I asked you something." 

"The bathroom." I reply, not looking at him. Was I too relaxed with him last night in the hall? Did I... I made a mistake. I should be angry with him. I turn to leave but I don't even make it the sofa that was between the bed and the bathroom.

"Come here." His voice is stern and demanding so I stop walking immediately. He is being superior and I just need... to get on his good side. He shifts on the bed and makes room for me to sit next to him. I sigh and walk back to him, not hiding the obvious annoyance. "At least try smiling a little bit." I don't do that as I sit on the bed with my legs hanging from the side. I wished he was my boyfriend that I loved and wanted to have a future with, someone who treated me nicely and took me on a nice vacation. I just wished it was normal for me to be here but it's not and I don't feel safe. 

I suddenly feel a shot of pain in my scalp as I am forced to fall backward. I yelp in pain and my hand quickly rubs the painful spot on the back of my head before I realize what happened. William pulled my hair but it wasn't too harsh. It just took me by surprise. 

"Was that necessary?" I ask through greeted teeth as I try sitting back up but he immediately pushes me back down by my shoulders. "William... What do you want...?" I ask, keeping my voice down so I don't appear rude or disrespectful because that would cost me things I can't afford to lose right now. When he doesn't answer, I just remain lying there, knowing that if I try getting up again, he'd just drag me down. I have so many questions for him and I don't even know where to start. How to ask those questions? 

My thoughts are interrupted when I notice him staring at me. not in a creepy way, just very silent and curious, I would guess. I look back at him for a moment and I don't see any madness in his eyes so I consider it a good sign. Something is off about him. Ever since we came here, he's been stuck in this angry version of himself. Not angry just... too calm for my own good. The kind of calm where you know the person is just holding back from killing everyone and everything.