Ch. 7 - The first try

I stare down at the contract in front of me. I can't believe what I see with my own eyes. 

"I never signed this paper. You tricked me into this, William." I say, getting up from the bean chair, only to be pushed back in it by William. "Stop it! You are not fair!" I was getting really mad because I was fooled by a stupid card. By a magician. 

"You never asked to see the contract so I kind of wasn't obligated to show it to you and your sweet eyes." He says, kneeling down to my level. I sigh angrily and go to slap him but his hand catches mine in a second and I barely get the time to process what just happened. "Though she be but little she is fierce." He chuckles and I frown, trying to struggle out of his grasp.

"Let me go! You are hurting me..!" I say angrily, feeling his grip on my wrist. Something was telling that wasn't his full potential and that the pain could be even worse. "Please, William..." I decided to soften a bit and try to settle things by the good old conversation. 

William smirks and lets go of me, getting up and handing me the contract. I felt the urge to just rip it in half but he probably had the second one. 

"Don't act like this is some big deal... It's just a knife, Rosie." He grins and takes the knives again, showing them to me. They look sharp and dangerous and the thought, of him throwing them at me, scared me the most. "It's not even taking risks. You won't get hit but I need you to trust me, alright?" 

"You think I'd let you throw knives at me just like that? This is literally suicide." I state my mind openly as he smiles at me with amusement written all over his face. 

"I can throw them at you as close as I want, but I won't ever cut you." He winks at me and in the next second, I am standing in front of him eye to eye. 

"You are going to kill me," I say worriedly, knowing I wouldn't ever expose myself to such things and this whole thing with no-reading-the-contract was a mistake which will never happen again. 

"I already told you, I won't ever hurt you or let anything bad happen to you." He says and hands me a glass of some strong drink. I don't know where he got it from because we were a bit further from the alcohol stand. "I won't cut you or hurt you in any other way so let's just get this over with." I was scared really badly but I knew he was being honest. He didn't really seem like someone who actually had no idea what they are doing. 

I watch him in silence, thinking and observing the whole thing inside my head. What am I supposed to do? Sit and wait for one of his knives to pierce through my eye? I guess he could see the hesitation in my eyes.

"Fine, look. I'll throw it right at the head of the deer." He says and points to the head on the wall across from us. It was a small head and it was about 6 feet away from us. To hit such target required a lot of precision and patience. "Right between the eyes. If I miss, I won't bother you with that anymore, deal?" He raises his brows and smiles at me. It was the kind of smile you could trust to so I just... made my mind. 

"Deal. But if you cut me I swear..." I wouldn't quit that easily. No. But I wouldn't take such things as putting myself at risk. William just smiles more and turns to the wall where his target was. I was nervous because he was very confident in his abilities and I couldn't wait to see what he can do. Of course, I was scared but that fear was getting consumed by my own curiosity and excitement. 

Suddenly he raises his hand, holding the knife by the blade. I don't even dare to blink as I watch him with my full interest and just now I realize the muscles underneath his shirt. For a second he looked like a god to me. 

In the next second, the knife flies across the room and lands right where William promised. I wasn't too surprised because he made himself quite clear that he would not fail. 

...

Only a few moments after, I find myself sitting on the bean chair again, gripping a pillow in my arms. I was scared beyond belief. I couldn't possibly sit still and... wait for the knife to get stuck in between my eyes. My body was shaking even though I was desperately trying to hold back and not think about how I just might be living my last seconds...

"I swear to God if you..." I start but William's chuckling cuts me off. 

"Nothing bad is going to happen to you." He says and winks at me as I exhale shakily. "Just don't move." I don't even nod in response, but only close my eyes tightly. I couldn't take it in the first place... "I am not even making you stand on your own feet cause I know you won't be able to keep still, Rosie. Just relax and trust me." The wall behind seemed so cold and dead, which it was... But it felt as if I would soon become one with it. My back is pressed against the cold surface and I can't even think about all the scenarios that could be played in just a moment. 

I suddenly hear a fast, sharp sound... of a knife hitting right next to my head, sticking into the wall beside my right ear. I waited for some kind of pain but nothing came. I didn't feel anything and I was at least expecting a cut. My hand reaches to my ear and I inspect it by touching the shell of my ear. I was scared that my brain was too frozen to process if anything has happened to me to cause any pain. But nothing... 

I look to William, my hand still covering my ear and my jaw dropped a bit. I couldn't believe that the blade didn't end up inside of me skull or something. William smirks and bows, taking his hat off. I felt so much pressure and stress, yet I couldn't force myself to start yelling at him. I had time for that earlier when he tricked me into the whole signing the contract thing. 

"You are insane, you... you should know that." I say and stand up shakily, feeling tired of this whole thing already. I don't think I can do this anymore... I need to rethink what I am capable of when it comes to this because obviously, this job is not as easy as I thought it would be. 

I feel the urge to cry but I can't let myself appear weak in front of him now. He can't see me like that... That's exactly what he meant when he said that the previous assistants quit for some reasons.

"Rosie, love... Don't be scared of me." He says and grabs my wrist as I'm about to walk past him. He pulls me close and I again feel a wave of tingles rushing through me. I avoid his gaze by looking down to my feet or just... anywhere but into his eyes. If I see the look he's giving me, I'm scared that I'd start crying. I can still feel myself shaking from earlier... "No need for that, Rosie." He says, lifting my chin up with his hand. "Why tears? No one is hurt, am I right? Or did I hurt you by accident?" He says softly, looking right into my core with those crazy yet calming eyes. 

"I don't think..." I start but my voice stops. I can't just give up after one experiment in which I never got cut even the tiniest bit. If I tell him that I am not ready to work as an assistant... "I am sorry." I whisper. William remains silent for a while then gently caresses my cheek. 

"No need for that, love. I understand your concern." He says and lifts my chin up once again and my eyes are met with his welcoming smile. I knew this face would be gone soon because of his... bipolar characteristics. "As I got to know you I realized you are much more than just Rosie I heard over the phone the first time we spoke. You are a fierce little lady, aren't you? I like that." He says and suddenly leaves a kiss on my cheek, a bit too close to my lips. I feel the same wave of pleasure washing over me. I don't dare to move because as much as I find this to be wrong, I find this very... nice. It feels really good and I am scared that if I make the smallest movement, he'll stop. Of course, the kiss on my cheek didn't last long but I could feel so many emotions in it. So much pleasure. It was such a welcoming gesture. A gesture of attraction and care.  

"Thank you, Will." I say and smile back at him, glad that he wasn't going crazy over this whole situation. He really understands my position in this story and I am glad that's the case because I could have been stuck with some dickhead of a boss in the worst scenario. 

A/N: So how do you like this so far? I am a bit too busy so updates will be much slower than during Summer but eh... Anyways, the next chapter is going to be really interesting so look forward to that!