The Bonfire

~3 Hours Later~
The Gladers and I were standing in a circle around this fire pit, each with a lit torch in hand. The fire pit was made out of sticks in a tent like formation. In the fire pit there was a cow skull. Alby lit the last torch and turned around facing the fire. Newt stood on Alby's right, while I stood on his left and waited.

"Light him up!" Alby yelled, we cheered and threw our torches into the fire. About five minutes later, the Gladers were all drinking, talking, eating, and having fun. I was sitting in the middle by the fire with Minho and the other runners. The boy and Newt were sitting against a log facing away from the fire. The boy was on his right.

I couldn't hear what they were saying but I saw Newt and the boy look at me. Newt pointed at me and said something to the boy who nodded and said something back. "Hey, Minho, I'm gonna go see what Newt and the Greenie are talking about. I'll see you tomorrow for our run," I said to Minho.

I stood up and got ready to walk away when Minho replied. "No, Alby's giving you tomorrow off as well as a break for helping him today with the Greenie. And he said that Newt's been acting strange so he wants you to keep an eye on him," He said.

"Okay, so are we running the day after tomorrow?" I asked him. He nodded. "Okay, see you later guys," I told him and the runners before walking away.

I walked over to where Newt and the boy were. I got there in time to hear Newt offer the Greenie a taste of Gally's drink.

"Hell of a first day, Greenie. Here. Put some hair on your chest," He said and handed the boy a jar of the golden brownish liquid. The boy drank a little of it before spitting it out two seconds later.

"Oh, my God! What is that?" He practically yelled. Newt laughed and smirked a bit. "I don't even know. It's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret," Newt said. I laughed at the boys face.

I walked around the log and sat next to Newt leaning my head on his shoulder as I rolled the sleeves of my jacket down. I took a sip of Newt's drink before I handed the glass back to him.

"It's not that bad once you get used to it," I told the newbie and moved closer to Newt. "So what were you two talking about when I was by the fire? I saw you look and point at me," I said.

"I was telling him that you're my girl and not to mess with you cause then I'll throw him in the pit. And not to get on your bad side because you'll beat the clunk outta him like you did with Gally," Newt said.

I laughed. "Oh yeah, Gally may seem like a big bully. Because he is, but when it comes he me, he tries to stay out of my way," I explained. "Yeah, he's still an asshole," The boy replied.

"He saved your life today. Trust me. The maze is a dangerous place," Newt said, I nodded my head in agreement. "We're trapped here, aren't we?" The Greenie asked as I felt Newt wrap his arm around my shoulders. I moved myself closer to his warmth and smiled softly.

"For the moment. But... you see those guys?" He started, he moved his arm away as we all twisted around to look at where he was pointing. He was pointing at Minho and the runners.

"There, by the fire? Those are the runners. That guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners," I said as we turned back to face the wall again. Newt's arm found its way back around my shoulders and my head was leaning more on his chest than his shoulder.