A Night In The Maze

'Thomas.'
'Wicked is good.'
'Don't make it easy on them.'
'Thomas.'
'Everything is going to change.'
'Wicked is good.'
'This is gonna hurt a little.'
'Wicked is good.'
'Thomas, you have to choose.'

The Glade
"But why would Alby go into the maze?" Thomas asked. I shrugged my shoulders. Alby had given me the day off again so he could run with Minho and retrace Ben's steps.

I've been a runner since I got here. I haven't ran in a couple days. I'm itching for a run. "I mean, he's not a runner," Thomas continued. I agreed with him there but why did he have to ask so many questions.

My thoughts were still on the conversation Newt and I had last night. He promised to always be there for me and I wanted to repay the favor. But, how?

Today, I had my hair up in a ponytail, with the sleeves of my flannel rolled up to my elbows. "Things are different now," Newt began. Newt hadn't spoken to me since this morning, and that was worrying to me.

This morning, he gave me a box that the Gladers found when they were taking inventory of the supplies sent up with Thomas.

It had two set of throwing knives, a pocket knife, a machete, a bow and arrows, two hand guns, and a sniper gun. I don't honestly know what type of gun it was but I loved it.

It had contacts and glasses for me, as well as other girl supplies, like a hair brush, and hair ties for my hair. I had taken out my contacts that I came up here with and was currently wearing my glasses.

"Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Are you gonna help?" I said. "So he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung..." Thomas began.

Newt looked at me and I couldn't read his expression. "Alby knows what he's doing... all right? He knows better than any of us," Newt said.

"What does that mean?" Thomas asked. I stopped working for a second and looked at Thomas. "It's like you have heard, yeah? Every month, the Box sends up a new arrival. But someone had to be the first, right?" I said and Thomas began to understand what we meant.

"Someone had to have spent a whole month in the Glade, alone. That was Alby. I mean, it can't have been easy," Newt continued on.

"But when those other boys started coming up, one after the other... he saw the truth. And he learned that the most important thing... is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together," I finished and Thomas looked thoughtful before he stood up.

"Yeah," He said and got to work helping Newt, David and I dig up the tree stump. "There you go, Greenie," Newt said and we all went back to digging up the stump.

I looked at Chuck and smiled. Yeah, we're all in this together. I thought. It started raining so everybody went under the shelter of the council room.

The Council Room
It had been raining for a while now, and everybody was staring at the doors waiting for Minho and Alby's return.

"They should have been back by now," Thomas said and I noticed Chuck looked worried. "What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas asked and looked back at Newt and I.

We were leaning against a pole watching the doors. Way to make the situation worse, Tommy. I thought.

"They're gonna make it," Newt said as he looked at Thomas from the corner of his eyes. "What happens if they don't?" Thomas asked more seriously as he walked to where Newt was. Newt looked at him again.