Part 9

"Why are you just letting her go? She's obviously unstable. Its better to just put her down before she endangers anyone else," Solis says, as Sabo watched you hurry away. Sabo glances back in slight horror before looking back at you. He had never seen so much pain in your face.
"Sabo, what has happened?" Dragon's voice makes him very aware that more revolutionaries had appeared.
"I... ___ attacked one of the new recruits... I... I dismissed her." Sabo informs him. Dragon blinks in surprise.
"My office, now. Koala, get ___," He orders, starting for his office. Sabo blinks at his tone and follows after him. Was Dragon angry with him? Hadn't he done the right thing? They get to his office and Dragon sits at his desk, Sabo stands in front of it. "What did ___ say in her defence?" He asks.
"She... She didn't say anything... Well..." 'No... Sabo, can't you see it?.... You're surrounded by wolves..' Your words came back to his mind and he felt a chill.
"Sir, I can't find her! And... And there's a dingy missing!" Koala gasps, coming inside. Sabo blinks and looks back to see Koala close to tears.
"She's gone?" He murmurs. Koala glares at him.
"What did you say!!?" She demands, hitting him hard in the shoulder. Sabo winces in pain, eyes widening as tears escaped her eyes. "Are you blind!?"
"Koala, gather a search party to go look for ___," Dragon tells her. Koala nods, giving Sabo another glare before hurrying out.
"Blind?" Sabo mutters in confusion. Dragon sighs, drawing the blond's attention back to him.
"You're such a bright man Sabo... But if you can't recognize a loyal comrade... Then I worry for your future," He says. Sabo's brow furrows.
"But she's so withdrawn, why do you doubt she's the spy?" Sabo inquires. Dragon shakes his head and stands.
"Because she always had the best intentions.... And not for herself, but for the Army... And for you," Dragon informs him.
"Wh-what do you mean?" Sabo asks.
"That's something for you to realize."
You step onto the dock and pause. Your eyes narrow. "Like hell she's winning," You growl, starting into town. Though your puffy eyes begged for sleep, you were too pissed to allow that to bother you as you went into a store. You grab an arm full of dendens and set them on counter. "How much?" You ask.
You leave the store and head back to the dingy. "Sabo.... After this I'm kicking your ass," You mutter.
*Flashback*
Rain was beginning to flood your cell. You moved back into the corner, trying to stay away from the ice cold water. Another explosion from above makes you flinch. The sounds of fighting had been dancing against your ears for hours now. The other prisoners cried out for help but you remained silent. You knew no help would come. It never did, the world was against you, from one muddy hole to the next. Yet somehow, you never once missed your noble home. Heh, even a cell made a better home then where you came from. The cold water laps your toes despite your desperate actions to avoid it. Giving up you slump against the wall. The sunlight would never kiss your skin again. You were already dead.
A crash down the hall, makes your eyes flicker to the side. So, they came to move some of the slaves huh? "Hurry, your free!" Hisses sound, repetitive as they draw closer. You knew better than to believe it. A blond boy about your age (15) appears at your cell door. He unlocks the door and flings it open.
"You're free! Go now!" He tells you. You simply blink at him.
"Go where? Another hole?" You reply dryly. He blinks, seeming bothered by your lack of enthusiasm. His eyes narrow and he comes into your cell, sending water splattering everywhere. You flinch as the cold droplets hit you. Without hesitating, he picks you up off the cold wet ground.
"No... You're coming with me." He tells you, blue orbs burning into yours. You blink at his eyes, feeling a spark ignite your soul again.
"Okay..." You murmur as he carries you out.
Few Years Later
You frown, peering over the wall to find him sulking. His first time leading a team and they were all in critical condition. "You shouldn't be out here, everyone is looking for you," You tell him, hopping over the wall and sitting beside him. "And look! I even got you a fruit basket to help you heal!" You chime, giving him a smile. He blinks at you, but doesn't return the smile.
"Don't you get it ___? I screwed up, and now everyone in my team is badly hurt..." He murmurs sadly. Your smile falls and you move closer to him, pulling him into a hug.
"Don't say that! Blade said it was thanks to your quick thinking that you're all still alive now!" You tell him. He hugs back, putting his forehead against your shoulder.
"Thanks ___.... But... I don't ever want to feel this way again," He murmurs, hugging you tighter.
"Then I'll make sure you won't..." You whisper. He pulls back to give you a questioning look.
"How will you do that?" He asks.
"However way I have to," You reply with a smile. "I'll always try to help you Sabo!" You tell him cheerfully. He blinks and finally smiles, touching his forehead to yours.
"Thank you ___," He breathes. You just smile and peck his lips, making him go rigid and blush heavily.
"I would do anything for you."
That's what you did. Though, you found the best way to keep him from making such mistakes again, also meant breaking apart your friendship. But you still did it, in order to keep your word. After that, Sabo's decisions, thanks to your crude and cold coaching, always ended smoothly.
End#
You bow your head, "I can't decide which one of us is the bigger fool..." You breathe, glancing up at Vartigo from your small island as the morning sun lights up the great island. You glance back at your denden. "But either way, I'm not betraying my word." You murmur.