Chapter 2: Not Fast Enough

Caleb rushed into the house, out of breath. He put his bag near the door and walked into the kitchen. 

"Afternoon Caleb," said his mum.

"Afternoon," replied Caleb, still out of breath.

His mum, Rona, was an interesting character. She had brown hair and blue eyes. She was average hight and was a single Parent. There dad had disappeared when Caleb had been five, and that doesn't mean he ra away, he literaly disappeared. 

Rone was aways on the move, no stopping anywhere for more then three years. Where they were now, Canberra, had been the longest stay in one place they had ever had. Four years so far. Caleb didn't no why they moved so often, but he was beggining to suspect something. 

"What's the matter?" said Rona, she was chopping up an apple.

Caleb waited until he got his breath back, "I was chased, by some scary men."

Rona stopped her hand in the air midstroke, "What?"

"I was chased," replied Caleb.

"And you out ran them?" said Rona, looking at him with surprise.

"No, I managed to get them to run into a wall, and knock themselves out," said Caleb with a slight smile.

Rona sighed with relief. She walked over to him and sat down.

"Do you know why they were after you?" she said.

Caleb thought about shaking his head, lying, but then he stopped himself. He had tried to tell his mum about Pennator before but she never believed him. If he did tell them what they had said she might finally believe him. 

"They were after Pennator," he said.

"Pennator?" replied his mother confused.

"Yes, that's right," said Caleb, "You know, the dragon I've been talking about."

Rona smiled then laughed, "Oh Caleb, you must have misheard them."

Caleb shook his head, "No, they deffinitly said Pennator."

Rona's smile faulted. She got up from her table.

"Well," she said, "Be careful next time your out on your own, if there isn't anyone to help you I'll pick you up, just in case."

"Thanks," replied Caleb.

Rona got up and walked back to the kitchen, continuing with the apple.

"When's the others going to get back?" asked Caleb eventually.

"Tomorrow," said Rona, "They will be back tomorrow."

Three days passed without much excitment. Caleb did tell his siblings about the chase and they asked him all soughts of questions, and appraised him when he told them that he had punched one of the guys in the face. 

It was the weekend, which ment the others got to do whatever they wanted. Caleb went over to Jack's house. They lived right next to each other so it was pretty easy to go over. Caleb told Jack what had happened. 

"Wow," said Jack.

They were sitting on the fence seperating there two houses. 

"I know right, and they were after Pennator, I don't even know how they knew about him," said Caleb.

Jack nodded slowly. He leant back on the fence, holding on tight, making sure he didn't fall from his seat.

"It would be cool to have a dragon inside you," he said, "And it would be even better if you could, I don't know, change into it or something."