Chapter 3: Transformation

Freedom, that was the first thing he felt when he opened his eyes, sweet freedom. He flexed his wings and took a huge flap, stopping himself from hitting the ground and he flew into the air. He let out a roar of joy, so loud that it echoed across the valley below. He took another flap of his large wings, twirling in the air.

'What happened?' said a voice in his head, 'I can't feel anything anymore.'

'It seems we shifted,' replied Pennator with another loud roar.

'Oh... wait what!' he said.

'We shifted,' replied Pennator, taking another circle in the air.

He was smaller then what you would expect a dragon to be, probably coming up to a man's chest when on all fours. Each of his four legs ended in four talons, which gleamed in the sunlight. His wings were gigantic, nearly as large as the dragon himself, and he had two straigh horns poking from the back of his head. He had a short neck, and small curved yellow spines running down his back. His tail was also quite long, longer then his body, and it ended in a scorpion like sting.

The dragon was ruby red with a yellow underbelly. He glittered slightly in the sunlight as he powered up the cliff, taking each flap of his wings as if he had been flying all his life. As he passed over the edge of the cliff he heard gasps of surprise, and fear. His senses had never been so alive.

He stopped in the air and turned towards the group of humans below. He must have been a terrifying sight for them, but the two humans who has chased Caleb off the cliff were now standing there, smiling. They both reached for there hips, and drew out there once invisible swords. 

Pennator snorted at them, this was going to be easy. He opened his mouth and breathed. An infurno rushed out, engolfing the two men in flames. Pennator kept up the fire for almost ten seconds before closing his mouth and letting the fire die away. To his surprise the two men were still standing there, there swords help up in a defensive position. 

Pennator growled at them again, and flew at them, his wings spread wide. They swung there swords at him before he got to close. Pennator flapped his wings once again, staying out of reach of the swords. He opened his mouth and let loose another torrent of flames. The men quickly went back into there defensice postition, and as soon as they did Pennator dived down, grabbing them both by the collors of there shirts. He lifted them high into the air and flew towards the end of the cliff. 

The men saw what he was going to do and started struggling. The bearded on struck Pennator's leg with his sword, cutting deep into it. Pennator growled in pain, and dropped them, right over the cliff. They fell down to the valley below.

Pennator flew down to the edge of the cliff, where he hovered above the ground for a second, then went in for the landing. He landed on the ground, skidded, then toppled over, rolling head over shoulders. He growled again as pain shot through his leg. He skidded to a hault then pushed himself of the ground.

'Nice landing,' said Caleb sarcastically.

'Shut up,' replied Pennator, 'I reckon it was pretty good for my first try.'

Caleb mentally shrugged. Pennator shook himself all over, and looked towards Caleb's family. They were all staring at him with shock. 

'I bet that they think there dreaming,' said Caleb with a laugh, 'I almost do.'

'It would suck if it was a dream,' replied Pennator.

We opened his wing and waved it at the family.

"Hello," he said, "Anyone in there?"

Caleb's little sister gasped and ran behind Rona. She took a step back.