Chapter 10: Training

“Let’s start with seeing what you can do,” said Recon, getting into a low position his wings spread out.

“What?” asked Pennator confused.

“Go.”

Recon launched himself at Pennator, swinging his wing towards him, folding it so the elbow of the wing was aimed at his head, like a punch. The fire dragon didn’t have any time to even register what was happening. His head was slammed onto the ground, before then he was hit back as Recon followed up with an uppercut.

Pennator growled in pain, stumbling back and putting up his wing to defend himself.

“Come on, you can do better then that, surely,” said Recon.

Pennator snarled and suddenly swung his wing around in a wide ark towards Recon. The dark dragon danced backwards, neatly avoiding the strike. He jumped forward again and struck at Pennator’s face with his claws. The hit scored, creating three long grooves through his face.

Pennator instantly struck back with his wing, hitting Recon in the face. The firedrake quickly jumped into the air and flapped his wings, taking him over Recon. Recon turned around and shot a dark fireball into Pennator’s head, causing a mini explosion and the dragon to roar in pain.

Recon pounced towards Pennator. He landed on top, and held Pennator’s head down with his claws. Pennator started to struggle, trying to through Recon off. The black dragon held in easily, waiting for Pennator to exhaust himself. He struggled for nearly five minutes, before giving in.

“Pathetic,” said Recon, “Come on, one of our lowly trained dragons would have done better.”

“Hey, it’s not my fault,” retorted Pennator instantly, “I’ve never fought before.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, unless you count that fight with two humans and the fight with that other dragon before. I’ve also hardly been around for almost twelve years.”

Recon nodded his head slightly, “This is going to be harder then I thought. Let’s start from the beginning. Can you form fire?”

Pennator twisted his head in slight confusion, “What?”

“Form fire, you know, like into a single stream, or fireballs,” said Recon.

“Stream, no, fireball, I think,” said Pennator.

“Show me,” said Recon, standing to the side.

Pennator took a deep breath and took a quick breath of fire. Instead of a fireball shooting out, a deformed fireball shot out. It petered out once it had gone ten metres.

Recon couldn’t help himself. He cracked up laughing. Pennator glared at him until he stopped.