Chapter 7: The Start of a Journey

The week went by in a blur. What was about to happen was all Caleb could think about, and he got busted more times then usual for 'day dreaming'. Pennator was also excited for it, possibly more then Caleb was. It would be the first time he saw other dragons.

Usually in the afternoons or nights Pennator went flying. He had to get his fitness up if he was going to be able to fly across the ocean. He was getting a lot better at it as well. He was able to dive, swurve and even fly backwards without much effort. 

By friday afternoon Caleb was rushing out of the school gate by the time school had ended. Jack went with him, also extremely excited about what was to come, although he kept it secret from Caleb. His siblings also went with him. They had been getting used to the whole shape-shifting thing.

Caleb walked inside, almost jumping with anticipation. It was the weekend, and they were going to Dragon Island. He had expected a dream that week about it, but nothing happened. He walked into his room, thinking if he should pack anything or not. In the end he put a spear set of cloths in a backpack and his I-pod, as well as a charger, although it was very unlikely he would need it.

'Nothing else?' said Pennator surprised.

'No, if I'm thinking right you'll be spending more time around then I will, and they may give me all the necessary living requirements,' he said.

'Okay then, it's your choice,' said Pennator with a mental shrug.

He chucked the bag into his bead, remembering that it wasn't until the next day they would be leaving. He walked back to the living room to find that his brothers had already turned on the TV, and his sister was on the computer. He sighed and sat down on the couch.

 It took a while for his mother to get home. She had been at work all day. She worked two jobs, a nurse and a babysitter. Since Caleb's father had disappeared she had to give it all to keep the family running, she had done very well.

"Afternoon mum," said Caleb as she walked in.

She smiled tiredly at him, "Good afternoon, how as school?"

"The same," replied Caleb, "How about work?"

"Alright, I guess," she said, coming down to sit next to him.

Caleb was surprised, she wasn't usually this tired after work.

"Big day ha?" he said.

She nodded slightly, but Caleb seemed to guess that wasn't what was bothering her.

"I'll be okay mum," he said, "Don't worry about me."

She looked at him and smiled, "I know, and I know I can't change your mind about going."

"Thanks," he said.

They sat there together for a while, watching the TV, until Rona got up and went to get dinner ready. Dinner that night was very quite, extremely quite. Nobody seemed to be willing to say anything. Dinner finished and Caleb went to bed early. 

The next morning he woke up refreshed and ready to go. He shot out of bead and looked at his watch. It was nearly seven o'clock, early for Caleb. He walked out into the kitchen and had breakfast. It was a Saturday, a day of rest for the family, and that's exactly what they did, rest. Around lunch Caleb asked if Jack could come over, he could.

They talked about what was going to happen, and how exciting it would be. Jack was careful to hide the fact that he was coming as well. They talked for about an hour before Rona called Caleb in for lunch. Caleb went in and Jack went back to his house, to get ready.