Chapter 9: A Friend

Pennator woke up slowly. He felt pain all throughout his whole body, like he had been stabbed multipile times in the chest. He rolled, and yelped in surprise as he fell off whatever he had been on. Groaning and getting up, he finally managed to see where he was.

He was in a cell, a prison cell as far as he could see. The walls, roof, floor and everything else in there was made of grey, thick stone that had hundreds of scars and scratches in its walls. There was a disgusting smell coming from a hole in the left corner of the prison. It was a reasonable size, enough for him to spread his wings, but not enough to fly. 

What he had been laying on was a stone bed, a large, round, stone bed. It didn't look comfortable at all. There was a straw pillow there as well, hardly big enough for him to lay on. 

Pennator stretched out his wings, wincing as he felt the muscles pull. They were saw, extremely saw. 

'Finally up?' said a voice in his head.

'Yeah,' replied Pennator.

''Bout time,' said Caleb, mentally yawning, 'You've been out for almost a month.'

'WHAT!' cried out Pennator disbelieving.

'Just kidding, more like a few hours,' said Caleb laughing, 'But it has seemed like a month. There really is nothing to do when your asleep.'

'I'm sure there isn't,' replied Pennator with a slight snort.

He took another look around the cell, 'What do you think of this place so far?'

'Not a good first impression,' replied Caleb, 'What do you think?'

'This place has definitly not met my expectations,' replied Pennator.

'Well, you did try to flame the first dragon you met,' said Caleb.

'And for good reason,' continued Pennator.

Caleb laughed at that, 'More like loosing your temper, you should really get control of that.'

'Shut up.'

He walked over to the door of the cell, which was made of hardened steel. There was a greating in the door that he could peer through. What he saw wasn't very hopefull. He was met with a corridor made of the same dull stone. There were other metal doors pickpocketed through the walls, but as far as he could see there weren't any guards. 

He walked back to the middle of the cell and sat down on his haunches. Suddenly something hit him.

'Where's Jack?' he said.

'Oh great,' said Caleb, the worry suddenly increasing in him, 'I told you we shouldn't have taken him.'

Pennator ignored him and walked up to the door. 

"Jack!" he yelled out. 

There were a few scuffles in the other cells but no one answered.

"Jack!" he called again.

Still no answer.

'Maybe he got away,' said Caleb.

'I hope so,' said Pennator.

They were silent for a few seconds before Pennator spoke again.

'We need to get out of here,' he said.

Caleb agreed. They started to look around for an escape root. He tried breathing fire at the door, tyring to melt it, but he quickly found out that it was immune to any sourt of heat. He looked for a weekness in the walls, but didn't find any obvious ones. He turned his gaze to the rank smelling hole in the floor.