A New Home

Lady Eesla was being drilled by her tutor in Twi'leki when her maid came in, saying the Queen requested her presence in the throne room. Breathing a sigh of relief, she left her desk and made her way to the throne room.

At a tender age of 5, Eesla was already drilled with various Native languages (for your future Ambassadorial duties, her tutor always said). She wondered when the Queen would ever her allow her to leave the planet and actually practice her mastery of them.

Stopping just outside the throne room, she gently patted down her dress and stepped inside.

"Eesla! Come over here!"

Eesla looked up and saw the Queen beckoning to her. Standing before the Queen were two strangers dressed in simple robes. One a man, the other a boy. She had never seen them in the palace before. The boy seemed to have felt her staring and turned to look at her. Embarassed to have been caught staring, Eesla hurried her footsteps to the Queen's side.

"This is Lady Eesla I suppose?" The man spoke first.

The Queen turned to him and nodded. Caressing Eesla's head, she introduced the man as Master Qui-Gon Jinn. The boy however, she did not mention.

Eesla curtseied politely. Her mind was racing. She couldn't think why the Queen had summoned her and was very anxious to find out.

Master Qui-Gon stepped forward.

"Eesla?" He spoke in a calm, gentle manner, like how someone would calm a terrified creature.

"Do you know who we are? We are Jedi. We serve the Jedi Order and the Galactic Senate."

Jedi. Eesla was familiar with the term. She had read about them, these people who called themselves peacekeepers of the galaxy. Yet it didn't explain how it had to do with her.

At this moment, the Queen clutched her shoulders protectively.

"That's enough, Master Jedi. I have not yet agreed to this proposal of yours. No matter what, Eesla is still a valuable asset. By no means will I just give her up."

Valuable asset. The words tasted bitter on Eesla's tongue. It was at such times she felt no more than a pawn in the Queens' hands. A simple object to do the Queens' bidding.

"Your Highness, with all due respect, it is in Eesla's best interest if she trains as a Jedi. She's highly sensitive to the Force and it's best she comes with us before someone else Comes. For. Her." Master Qui-Gon firmly emphasised the last three words, causing the Queen to frown. She glanced at Eesla with concern.

Meanwhile, Eesla was lost in her thoughts. Jedi? Jedi? She felt surreal. For as long as she could remember, the Queen had reminded her that she would grow up to be a fine Senator and one day Queen. She knew of no other future and dreamt no other. But.... would the Queen let her go? At this thought, she snapped back to reality.

The Queen looked deep in thought and was obviously struggling to reach a decision. Eesla's heart started to sink. Just as she thought her hopes was dashed, the Queen spoke.

"Master Jedi... if I let Eesla go... would you promise me you will care for her personally? It may sound too much, but Eesla is.... very important to me." The Queen spoke wistfully with a pensive look.

Master Qui-Gon smiled and bowed.

"If it would make her Majesty feel better, I would care for Eesla like my own".

The Queen smiled gratefully and turned towards Eesla.

"Then Lady Eesla will leave with you at sunrise. You are welcomed to stay at the palace. I hereby declare this meeting dismissed."

Everyone in the room bowed as the Queen stood up to leave. The room slowly cleared out till only Eesla, Master Qui-Gon and Obi-Won was left.

Master Qui-Gon approached Eesla and knelt down to her height level.

"Eesla, I'm sure you're feeling overwhelmed now... but there's nothing to be afraid of. I'll be with you every step of the way. For now, why don't you go say your goodbyes and take some rest? We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

Eesla nodded slowly and ran off towards her room.

As she left, the boy turned to Master Qui-Gon with a concerned look.

"Master, do you think she'll be alright?"

Master Qui-Gon smiled and ruffled the boy's hair.

"Trust in the Force, my young Obi-Wan. Eesla will be just fine."