The Princess & Her Knight

Eesla's POV

"Ouch!" I cried out as I tumbled backside first on the ground.

Obi and I were in the training arena, practicing our lightsaber combat. I was progressing fine technique-wise, but I had yet to best Obi in the duel. In fact, I was starting to think he was finding amusement in this.

Circling me slowly like a hawk, he gestured for me to get up. I rolled my eyes. One thing about Obi was that once he got his mind focused on something, it pretty much became everything he saw. And right now, every single midichlorian in him was centred on our duel.

"Let's take five." I implored. Thankfully, Obi let up. He nodded and went over to our bags to get our water cannisters. I was so parched I immediately emptied my cannister with large gulps. Gasping for air, I lay down on the floor, feeling completely wiped out. Obi lay down beside me. It baffled me how he could always stay unperturbed even during a grueling session like this. Mind you, I was just as physically fit, yet sometimes I felt so exhausted after our sessions I could just collapse. I asked him once how he managed to do it, he had obnoxiously answered "You're a girl." I scoffed in response.

"You did it again." Obi said, snapping me out of my trance.

"What?" I asked, turning over to face him.

"You hesitated. You were thinking back on what techniques to use again, weren't you?"

Busted. I had an obstinate quirk that drove Obi insane. The thing I tend to do subconsciously in the back of my mind is I often second-guessed my attacks by overanalysing my opponents. Sometimes I would even double back to my textbooks to find out the best technique to use. To the untrained, it might not seem out of the ordinary; but to a Jedi, it stood out like a sore thumb that my movements were slower than what they should appear to be.

"You need to trust your instincts Ees, your muscle memory knows everything, let your instincts tell you what technique to use during combat."

"I know, I know."

"Come on" Obi nudged me up. "The sooner we get that infuriating habit of yours out of your system, the better."

I was almost ready to collapse by the time Obi was satisfied. The next time he ever mentioned muscle memory I need to tell him that all my muscles are memorising are aches and bruises I suffered after each training session. Grabbing a towel from my bag, I wiped the dripping sweat off my face. Doing so, I noticed the corner of a holobook poking out of Obi's bag.

Pulling it out without a thought, I saw that it was a holobook. I was surprised that Obi read, making me realise how little I knew about him outside our sparring sessions. I grew a little sad at the thought. Before I could process my thoughts further, I felt someone's hand on my shoulder.

"Ees?"

His eyes narrowed when he saw the holobook in my hand. Eyebrow raised and arms crossed, he looked at me with an expression that read let's see how you explain yourself out of this.

"So, you like reading huh?" I asked casually, hoping to dissolve any awkward tension.

"No, I don't." Obi replied nonchalantly, making a swipe for the holobook. I avoided his reach. Undeterred by his deadpanned enthusiasm, I continued to pepper him with questions.

"What type of stories do you like?"
"Any favourites?"

He turned away from me.

"Did anyone ever tell you you were stubborn?" I questioned.

"Did anyone ever tell you you were annoying?" He retorted.

"As a matter of fact, no."

Grabbing both bags in one arm, I used her free arm to drag Obi with me.