Departure and Arrival

At sunrise, Eesla awoke sore and tired.

Her last hours of sleep were dreamless, thankfully. Yet she still felt the aftermath of last night's events lingering around her. Shivering, she held up her arm to study her bruise again. Instead she saw her arm had been freshly bandaged. It no longer stung as badly as before, but it still stung if she made any sudden movements.

She approached the fresh basin of water her maid had left and and washed her face. As soon as the cold water hit her face she immediately felt more refreshed.

Sitting back on her bed, Eesla took some time to reflect on last night's dream. She didn't understand most parts of it, yet the one thing she clearly remembered was the pair of yellow eyes that had bored into her till the very last moments of her horrifying nightmare. She felt she would have recognised the eyes anywhere in this galaxy if she ever saw them again. She prayed hard she would not encounter the owner of those eyes, regardless creature or person.

She glanced at the time and realised she needed to be at the hangar soon to meet up with the others. Opening her wardrobe, she scanned for a few of her simpler dresses. Taking into account that she wanted to avoid questioning over her injury, she selected a cream coloured dress with longer sleeves.

Surveying herself in the mirror, she realised that her dress colour matched those of the Jedi. Probably for the best, she mused. It would be easier to fit in. Picking up her bag, she proceeded to leave her room, but not before taking one last look over her shoulder.

"Goodbye." she whispered softly.

***

At the hangar, she saw that the Jedi were already waiting. Hurrying her footsteps, she met up with them. Luckily, the Queen was still no where in sight which meant she still wasn't late.

"Lady Eesla, good morning." greeted Master Qui-Gon.

"Good morning, Master Jedi. Forgive me for having kept you waiting." Eesla replied politely while bowing deeply.

She relaxed in their company, thankful that Master Qui-Gon did not make things awkward by questioning her about last night. While making small talk with one of a ministers seeing her off, she saw the boy that came with the Jedi at the corner of her eye. Now that she had a better look at him, she realised that he wasn't much older than her. She debated whether to walk over and say hi.

Before Eesla had a chance to decide, the Royal Guard announced the Queen's arrival. She noticed Padmé was behind her, which meant she probably had an audience with the Queen before this. Padmé waved enthusiastically at Eesla from behind the Queen, causing Eesla to grin in response.

When the Queen had made her way down to the hangar, Eesla stepped forward and curtsied. The Queen nodded with a smile. Both Jedi also stepped forward and bowed deeply. The Queen nodded gravely.

"I hope you will keep to your promises Master Jedi. You will find that I will hold you to your words." The Queen spoke sternly.

"You have no need to concern Your Highness. She's in good hands." Master Qui-Gon replied with a smile.

"Good. Now if I may, I would like to have a word with Eesla, privately."

Nodding, Master Qui-Gon and the boy left. The Queen suddenly knelt down in front Eesla, caressing her face. Eesla thought the Queen felt particularly sombre today, which she felt was rather unlike her.

"Forgive me child... you would have had a perfect future... to be a Senator... and Queen. Perhaps one day you will return to us. Until that day, I pray for your safety." The Queen said softly while stroking her hair.

Hearing the Queen's words, Eesla felt a lump form in her throat. Tears threaten to spill down her face. Eesla had never had a close relationship with the Queen, for Her Majesty often preferred she spent her time with tutors. Despite their more formal relationship, Eesla understood this was the Queen's way of expressing her care. Being a Queen sometimes meant there wasn't time or place for motherly care, but only formal positions.

"Your Highness..." Eesla croaked.

The Queen pulled her into a hug, muttering Eesla's name repeatedly. And Eesla hugged The Queen tightly in return. When they finally broke the hug, The Queen took out a necklace from her pouch. The necklace had an emerald green pendant shaped like the emblem of Naboo. The flower-like symbol matched the green in Eesla's eyes. The Queen placed it around Eesla's neck.

"May this guide you well and give you hope when you're in darkness."

"Thank you... Your Highness..."

"I guess it is time you left." The Queen stood up, her face immediately straight and stern.

Eesla understood it as a sign that they were back to their formal positions and curtsied once more.

She went to Padmé and the two girls hugged each other tightly, each silently promising the other that this would never be the last time they meet.

Before boarding the ship, she bowed deeply towards everyone. In a heart, she said a silent thanks to those that had been in her life.

As the Jedi boarded the ship alongside Eesla, the Queen spoke up.

"Safe trip, Master Jedi."

"May the Force be with you all." replied Master Qui-Gon solemnly.

Eesla look through the window for one last look at everyone.

"May the Force be with you always." she whispered.

***

The journey from Naboo to Coruscant was to be short and relatively quick. Although tired and weary as Eesla was, it was still her first time in space and she was very curious.

"Master Jedi?" Eesla called out.

Master Qui Gon looked up from his datapad and smiled.

"Yes Eesla?"

"How many planets are there in the galaxy?"

"That's an interesting question. However, before I answer that, I need you to do something."

"Oh?" said Eesla, puzzled.

"I need you stop calling Master Jedi. It makes me sound old. Please call me Qui-Gon." He requested with a chuckle.

"Master Qui-Gon." Eesla tasted the words on her tongue to get used to it.

Master Qui-Gon laughed heartily and sat her on his lap. "Now that we got that aside, let me tell you a story about the galaxy..."

***

Several clicks later

Eesla woke up to find herself wrapped in a thick blanket. She had somehow fallen asleep midway during the journey.

Sunlight shone through the windows and she could hear commotion outside. Peeking outside the window, she couldn't see much except skyscrapers everywhere.

Hearing footsteps approaching her, she turned and saw Master Qui-Gon enter.

"Good, you're awake. Come child, we have arrived." he beckoned.

As they stepped outside, Eesla found the place indescribable. To say it was busy would be an understatement. Comparing with the tranquility on Naboo, Eesla had never been exposed to so much noise. Skyscrapers surrounded them and there was barely any greenery seen. In her words, Eesla would have described it as a planet made out of metal.

Master Qui-Gon gently placed a hand on Eesla's shoulder as he guided her to the transport platform.

"Well Eesla, welcome to Coruscant, the capital of the Republic."