Of Dreams and Nightmares

Eesla stayed awake till exhaustion took over her. She dreamt of the boy in the throne room, silently looking yet not talking. She tried to approach him, but he disappeared into the darkness before she could reach him.

The scene changes and she seems to be a space shrouded in darkness. She squinted and tried to gain bearings of her surroundings to no avail. Feeling a lump in her throat, Eesla treaded carefully in the darkness. She stopped short when she saw flashes of blue and green lights in a distance.
She could distinctly see two silhouettes fighting, their movements so smooth it looked like they were dancing.

She was transfixed.  From her viewpoint, she couldn’t make out their identities. Rationality told her she should stay where she was, but curiosity got the better of her and she tried to walk towards the two figures. When she tried, she found that she couldn’t move her feet.

As she cried out in surprise, her surroundings melted away and were replaced with a small room. The room was bare and simple. It reeked of a dark feeling that she couldn’t shake off. She shivered and swallowed her urge to cry. The dark feeling was threatening to choke her, lest she found a way out of this room. Her eyes scanned the room in panic when she heard something. The voice was low, deep and rough. It was sultry yet intimidating, powerful yet persuasive.

“Eesla…Eesla… ”

“Eesla…come to me…”

“Who are you?!” screamed Eesla, looking around the room frantically. Wherever she looked, there was no one else in the room.

“Eesla….Eeslaaaaaaaaa!” the low groaning voice quickly became wailing, high in pitch.

Terrified, Eesla closed the eyes tightly, hoping to tune out the voice inside her head.

“Eesla…"

“LOOK AT ME!”

With a gasp, Eesla opened her eyes and saw two bright yellow eyes looking right at her. She wanted to scream so badly but she couldn’t. It was as if the creature was preventing her from screaming. She kicked helplessly, struggling to get away. Losing energy, the last thing she saw before her vision went black was the two yellow pupils boring into her.

Eesla woke up with a jump, her hair and face matte and sticky with sweat. Her heart was thumping painfully in her chest and she felt sore all over. She panted in short breaths. She grimaced with pain as she felt her wrist throb, as though she had badly sprained it.

Eesla whimpered softly as she pulled back her sleeve to reveal her wrist had now been decorated with a sickly purplish bruise. Studying the bruise under the moonlight, it looked like blotches of black ink had been sprayed across her wrist and upper forearm.

In the corner of her room, she heard a rustle. Eesla’s nerves were already frazzled. She wasn’t sure how much more of the fear she could handle.

“Who’s…. who’s there?” she whispered.

Master Qui-Gon stepped out of the shadows to reveal himself. “Calm down child, it’s just me.” He sat down beside her on the bed. He cradled her to give her comfort and warmth. The aftermath of her fear unfurling like a tight leaf, Eesla cried in Master Qui-Gon’s arms till she fell asleep.

Cradling her still, Master Qui-Gon held her wrist in his free hand and gently ghosted his thumb over her bruise with a grim look on his face.

As he studied it, he muttered darkly. “Looks like we got here just in time…