The Aftermath

I stepped between Zander and Slade as Slade skidded to a stop. "What are you doing here?" I asked him as he raised an eyebrow. "What are you doing here with him?" Slade asked flicking a chin at Zander who looked around sheepishly. "Because im having fun. Go home leave me alone." I muttered began trying to dance with Zander again but Slade whirled me around to face him.  He grabbed my wrist before bringing me into an empty room. "Are you kidding. You're violating the rules, JT." I scoffed at him before rolling my eyes. I made sure to yank my wrist away from his grip before crossing my eyes and glaring at him. "I didn't even know you knew what violating meant. And no im not. Well I did tell Zander but that's it." He made sure to glare at me before shaking his head as I rolled my eyes again. "You're making it look as if you cheat on me in front of my face and im okay with it and im not. And you keep rolling your eyes like that they're going to get stuck looking for your brain." i shrugged a shoulder sitting on the bed as he paced back and forth. "Do you not care?" He yelled as I looked at my fingers indifferently. I shrugged knowing he was looking at me now. "Its some dumb game Slade. Calm down." He whirled back to me and pointed a finger at me. "No. You infuriate me. You are the one who started this whole dumb thing." "Good now you know how I felt when I heard about the bet." I muttered under my breath hoping he didn't hear after I realized what I had said. I immediately pressed my lips together and looked at the floor. He was shoving his hands through his hair before he stopped abruptly and stared at me. "What?" He seethed as I shook my head and stood up ready to escape. He was closer to the door but if I was quick enough I could make it out fast enough. If was the key word. But he beat me to the door and swung me around so my back was against it and he was hovering over me. My heart stopped for a split second before I swallowed. His face was centimeters from mine as his breath fanned over my nose and lips. His eyes stared into mine intensely as if he were staring into my soul. I didn't like it but I couldn't look away. His eyes were too intriguing. Too mesmerizing. "What did you say?" He hit the door beside my head before looking at my frightened face and muttering a sorry. "The bet. I know about it." i mumbled as he kicked beside me and I jumped away from him as best as I could. "Im sorry." I cringed at how it had sounded like a gunshot. I finally opened my eyes and sighed. "How do you know?" I shook my head not daring to move a muscle. Memories flooded my mind of that night. "How did you find out about the bet?" "Someone. It doesn't matter." I mumbled as he backed away and I finally caved into myself. The flash of the gun. The bang, bang. The gun turning on me. The barrel looking at me as I cried.

Suddenly a hand grabbed my hand but I yanked it away looking up at him frightened. "Hey JT. Its okay." I exhaled slowly. As Slade stared at me. "What's wrong?" I tried steadying my breathing as he blinked at me. I shook my head as he leaned closer making my breath hitch before 

quickening. "Nothing." I mumbled as he shook his head. "Bluff. You're lying. You bit your lip. Tell me the truth." He whispered close to my ear as I tried calming my breath. My anxiety from the memories was sky high. I couldn't think properly. And he wasn't helping. He was only making it worst. I need to get away from him. Far far away. I can't be near him right now. I need to leave. "Nothing I have to go." I said jumping up and running. I shook my head as I flew the door open and dodged the couples kissing in the hallway. I knew he was coming after me but I ducked under and around people before heading out the front door. Then I ran. I just ran down the road, kicking up dirt and rocks in the process, and didn't think about stopping. I wouldn't stop. I couldn't. I had so much on my mind. I had so much stress in my veins. I had so much pressure on my shoulders. I ran to escape my problems. I ran from everything. I ran from anything. I even ran from myself.

"Faster, faster, faster JT." Slade yelled as I laughed coming to a stop. He pumped his arm in the air triumphantly as I grinned at him and he gave me a big hug. "That was six seconds from your best time." My dad said proudly. I grinned my seven year old toothless grin as Slade patted my back while Jordan hopped from one foot to the other. Jeremiah just grinned and hugged my neck while rubbing the top of my head with his knuckles messing up my hair. "Good job JT. You're getting faster. You'll be ready for track in no time." My father smiled as Jordan got ready to run. After cheering him on then Slade and then Jeremiah, I turned to dad. "Can we run?" He nodded before watching all four of us race off down the road. That was back when Slade, Jordan, Jeremiah, and I were the four musketeers. That was back when my dad was happy. That was back when my dad was alive. That was back when I could smile without pain. That was back when I knew what love was. That was back when I didn't know what hurt was. When life was simpler. When life was easy. When life was full of love. When life was full of happiness.

I ran to forget everything. But most of all I ran to forget me. I ran to forget the aftermath of my whole life.