Trains and Games || iii

* * * * *

"You're leaving for the entire year?" Nathan asked, disappointment clear on his face. "Just when we've started being friends?"

It was September 1st at last, and Lucy was all packed and ready to drive to King's Cross with Mrs. Cole in a short fifteen minutes, and Nathan was oblivious. She'd held off telling Nathan for a few reasons. One, she was too busy reading her many books on hexes, and two, she knew he'd protest.

"I'll write to you," Lucy shrugged like it was no big deal. She wasn't too worried about their short-lived friendship fizzling out while she was away; if it did, she was sure she'd meet someone to fill his place. It may be mean of her, but Nathan was friends with her bully. Although, Jennifer was not in a position of power and Lucy was not in the least intimidated by her. Even when they managed to push her to the ground or steal her dinner. Jennifer was a house pest that she had to repeatedly brush off, one that occasionally stung. 

"When are you coming back?" Nathan frowned.

"Next summer. You'll have plenty of people to keep you company," she said, unmoved. She kept glancing at the clock, wishing that she could be at the train station faster. She'd already read her books two or three times in the last month, but she was eager to give Hogwarts: A History to Harry to read. She was eager to see someone who was like her. 

Come on, he's upset, her conscience nagged, but Lucy couldn't find it in her to put forth any empathy. 

"All right," Nathan said, defeated. "I wish I could go to your school."

"Me too," Lucy said honestly. Nathan was cool, but it would be easier if he was magical like her. His eleventh birthday had already passed; there was no way he was a wizard.

He smiled, unable to stay upset for long. "You look nice, though. We don't get enough chances to dress up."

It was true. For the occasion, Mrs. Cole insisted on buying Lucy one new outfit for her acceptance to such a 'prestigious school'. She had on a yellow sweater and a black skirt, paired with a new set of black flats. Her old sneakers had holes in them and were hedging on unusable, so Lucy was glad for the change. It seemed like the occasion of her leaving Wool's Orphanage for most of the year inspired Mrs. Cole with extra generosity. 

"Thanks," Lucy grinned as Nathan's face turned scarlet. Mrs. Cole appeared in the doorway, and she gave him a quick hug to subdue him. "See ya in the summer!" she called over her shoulder and ran out the door. 

"Don't run in the hall!" Mrs. Cole's voice rang out.

The ride to King's Cross was filled with many sighs from Mrs. Cole and distractions from Lucy. Time and time again Mrs. Cole had to remind the young girl to keep still, and it was only when Lucy stuck her head out the window like a dog that she gave up trying. Compared to her pulling at the threads of her new sweater and drumming her fingers against the dashboard, this was welcomed.

Mrs. Cole turned to her as Lucy loaded her things onto her trolley. "Now, I expect you to behave yourself. It's not every day a child from Wool's is accepted into a private institution. Now that I think about it, the last time was about sixty years ago, back when I was twenty-two... and hopeful... and young... Better times back then..." the old lady coughed. "Well, I don't want you to be the only one of the two expelled. Do you understand me?" 

"Yes, ma'am," Lucy said absentmindedly. Her mind usually wandered during Mrs. Cole's lectures. "Wait, who was the other one?"

Mrs. Cole grimaced. "Tom Riddle." 

"That's a nice name!" Lucy approved immediately. "It's enchanting and everything." 

The old woman frowned. "A nice name, but he was not a nice boy. I don't know what he's up to now, and I don't particularly want to. I heard he went to work in a shop. A shop! He's invited to Hogwarts, and he wastes it on shopkeeping. Well, he always was a bit of a brat. At least you never snark off to me."